1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school, problem with student

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sam2chill, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I know this sounds strange but I've just started a new school and have had some issues with behaviour management as I am new, it is january, the kids are used to someone who has just left, and a few kids are making it impossible for me to teach. I've followed procedures not a problem in class. However one boy (y9) is holding a grudge for a detention 3 weeks ago. He is vile in class but also outide of class. He takes the mick out of my name, shouting it as he goes past my class and is getting other students to copy. As he doesn't do it in class, I don't quite know what to do.

2. I know this sounds strange but I've just started a new school and have had some issues with behaviour management as I am new, it is january, the kids are used to someone who has just left, and a few kids are making it impossible for me to teach. I've followed procedures not a problem in class. However one boy (y9) is holding a grudge for a detention 3 weeks ago. He is vile in class but also outide of class. He takes the mick out of my name, shouting it as he goes past my class and is getting other students to copy. As he doesn't do it in class, I don't quite know what to do.

3. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Do you have a head of year system in your school? Or head of house? Whoever is in charge of his pastoral care needs to be informed - it doesn't matter that his behaviour is out of your lesson, it is still a problem. You could try to arrange a (non-confrontational) sit-down with him and the appropriate head of year to discuss the issue and take it from there - make it clear that the behaviour is a problem and not acceptable but do let him talk through his issues as long as he does it in a polite and respectful way.

Perhaps asking your mentor for help would be a good thing to do as well?

4. You need to escalate this up the management line. It woiuld be very useful if the head of year of HOD could catch the boy 'at it' so to speak, so that a two pronged approach to dealing with the issue can be effected. It's important that you don't react to it but to do the opposite - that is be calm, issue the detentions etc and keep doing that so that he knows that the only reaction will be against him. It may well be that if the situation cannot be resolved then parents need to be involved.
    James

5. pob1888

pob1888 New commenter

Cripple him with detentions and punishment each time he does it, make him miss break/lunch time, if he begins to miss these then the year head/HOD will have to act. Let him know everytime he does something wrong you will hammer down on him, but if he has a better attitude it will make his life a lot easy.