1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school offering lower salary!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by UKTeacher33, Jun 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. UKTeacher33

UKTeacher33 New commenter

Hi all,

First time posting as I need advice with an unusual situation. I have recently been applied for, been interviewed and offered a job at a good school. When they sent across the offer letter, I said I would be delighted to accept but I noticed there was no salary information attached.

For context, I taught in schools for three years, then left teaching to work in a Higher Education Institute, then have returned to teaching for various reasons. My university pays 30K but subsidises my doctorate - which is 2K. I have expressed to the school that I would like M6 (36K) but would accept M5 (33K).

They have come back and asked me for proof from my last school (nearly 3 years ago) that I hit the performance management target, and if I can prove this, they would give M4 (30.5K). If not, they'll give me M3 (27K).

I was disappointed to hear this as that is nearly a 5K drop from my current situation!

I am waiting to hear back from my old school, but this closed down and was reorganised into a new school body.

I'm a bit shocked that a school would ignore three years of salary development, and I think that I might have to reject the job offer! Has anyone else ever came across this? The Head told me it's out of his hands and it has to go through HR processes, but I can see on the school website that the board of trustees determines pay.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Many thanks all!

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

There is no pay portability, so they COULD have only offered you M1 !

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

What would I do?
    I would turn the job down.
    But it’s what you are prepared to do that is important. You either
    Accept the salary
    Try to negotiate
    Walk away.

or all three but not necessarily in that order!

border_walker likes this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

As in post 3, plus next time you apply for a job DON'T accept until your salary has been agreed.

border_walker likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

They're not interested in your salary development, they're interested in your career development. It will depend on the school and on what you were doing in the HE institution how relevant that experience is. As someone who was out of schools (and doing a little teaching in HE) for a few years, and then returned, I know I had forgotten a few "tricks of the trade" when it came to classroom teaching, so I would not have rated myself as "better" than when I left.

Anyway, as others have said, you can negotiate but you also have to decide at which point you will say "no thank you". It's not quite clear whether your reply to the offer was "I will accept if the salary is right" or "I accept, but do let me know what you're going to pay me".

strawbs likes this.
  6. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I think more and more schools are doing this now. Yes it stinks. It comes down to how much you want and need the job I guess.

Piranha likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Under the old system, you would be on M4, as you would be moving (as far as I can see; apologies if I have misunderstood) into your fourth year of teaching in schools. Your HE experience would probably not have counted. If you can convince anybody that you are worth more than this, then go for it, but I suspect that you would have trouble moving two points above your previous level. As has been pointed out, under the current rules, you could be paid at the bottom of the scale; your new school is at least adhering to those rules.

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

interested what you decided to do.

I think the school was fair.... what I would do, like anything, depends entirely on my individual situation, and wouldn’t be relevant to you.....