1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school/New problem!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pesheUCE, Aug 31, 2011.

1. pesheUCE

pesheUCE New commenter

I am starting my 4th teaching year..... I am going to a new school in september. I have a clash with the school calendar and need advice. My wife got me a birthday present in April in the form of an evening out at a concert. It has been booked for 4 months and has cost her a lot! The issue is, my new school has an evening of directed time that clashes.

What should I do? I dont want to seem like a slacker at work, but would be truly devastated if I were to cancel on my wife.

Help!

x

2. This is a tough one. Personally if I were in that situation I would just make sure that I didn't take any other sick time off and take the day and enjoy it with your wife. If you don't go sick from here till April then you can do this guilt free. Sometimes its really important to go the extra mile for your relationships as well as for your job. This job takes up so much time anyway, it seems heart breaking for this planned evening to be wasted. Work extra hard at school and go the extra mile so that you have no guilt when this day comes around. I never take sick time as I hate letting down my students but sometimes you need to look after your marriage too.

I am sure people will be disapproving of my opinion, but sometimes there is just more to life than work.

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

Asap in the new term I would go and explain to your new head (or whoever is in charge of this evening event) that you have a prior engagement booked some time ago (and at some expense). Hopefully they will reply "sure, don't worry, have a great evening"!
    I guess the only stumbling block might be if it is absolutely essential YOU are there at the evening - e.g. a subject presentation only you can deliver to parents etc.
    I am confident my head would say yes to me having my evening treat - they have said yes to much lesser things in similar circumstances in the past. Perhaps to "make up for it" offer to help at a (voluntary) event eg concert etc.

4. I've never worked in a school where management is that approachable. In the OP's situation the answer to such requests would always just be no. I think they felt they would open up a can of worms if they recognized we were humans and not robots. I would love to hear that the OP talked to their head and they wished him and his wife a pleasant evening! This would restore my faith in management. I really hope that course of action is possible.

5. strawbs

Well I guess I've always worked with more human heads than you!

6. I would go to the head and say that your evening out was arranged prior to your starting work at the school (true?) and therefore you are sorry but you cannot come to the directed time. Any reasonable person would understand, as you could not anticipate that you would be needed for that particular evening. Offer to do something else, as one of the posters has said, to make up the time.

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

That's what I'd do too. I sincerely hope the first poster who replied isn't suggesting claiming to be sick when you're not. That's a disciplinary offence.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That would be my advice and my likely experience as well. I have missed two evening things in the past two years due to them being organised after I had booked theatre tickets. No problem at all.

9. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Be honest, go and explain, perhaps offer to make the time up even, but I doubt they'll take you up on it!

Ian

10. strawbs

pesheUCE - how did you get on?