1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school, new leader

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bedelicious, Feb 7, 2016.

1. bedelicious

bedelicious New commenter

Hi all,
    I've been teaching Nursery for the last couple of years and recently moved to a new school. The school also has a new fs manager. She has told me that when I do a maths/lit whole class input, afterwards the whole class should be doing that subject in different groups each with an adult. To mean this seems madness and more like yr1 to me. I have always done an input and then one adult will have a focus linked to input. But the other adults will be observing/interacting/doing other focused activities for other areas of development as this is then continuous provision time. Have I got it wrong and should nursery be this formal?
    Thanks B

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Do they apply that to when you do another area of learning, too?

You haven't got it wrong. Nursery provision is led by children's interests. Can you just do it 'your' way? Or will that cause problems.

bedelicious likes this.
  3. bedelicious

Thanks Camokidmommy for replying. I'm really unsure to be honest what she means I think she means for maths and literacy. But in nursery I wouldn't even do a full literacy lesson I do phonics everyday in differentiated groups but literacy I do through child initiated and focused small group activities. I don't think she would be happy if I did my own thing, but feel fed up and especially when being observed in future I do not feel happy about teaching this way in Nursery. I honestly have never heard the likes in nursery.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It sounds to me like the FS manager is looking at Nursery as a younger version of KS1. It is not; there is a different curriculum and a different way of teaching and learning. You have not got anything wrong.

bedelicious likes this.
  5. yvetteoverfield

yvetteoverfield New commenter

Be delicious this is also happening in my school. I am a teacher in a very happy Nursery class who is now being told, by my newly appointed Early Years manager, to change my teaching style to imitate that of the Reception class. I am really worried by this style of teaching being forced upon our youngest children, but I have no voice within the school as I am being micro-managed by my line manager. It is a truly sorry state of affairs! If only I could work in a school where the needs of the children come first!

bedelicious likes this.
  6. yvetteoverfield

yvetteoverfield New commenter

Help! How do I change my name to a nickname?

7. bedelicious

Thanks guys, just makes me feel better that I know what I am doing is the right thing to do. Yvette, it's awful isn't it, I just feel alone with no support.