1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New School Maths Dept Set Up - Textbooks

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mrrismith, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm involved in setting up a brand new school which I need to resource fully. I'm considering some different textbooks to use, and would appreciate some opinions. Have you ever used, and what are the pros and cons of:

1) Exploring Maths
    2) Cambridge Essentials
    3) Essential Maths (Rayner)
    4) Any other suggestions?

I have used Level Up books before and am not too keen on these!

Many thanks
    Rob

2. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I personally like the 'So you really want to learn Maths' books from Galore Park.
    Lots of questions, no fancy graphics, excellent extensions for more able.
    It does seem to be mainly indy schools that use them. I recently came across the junior version of the Galore Park maths books, which dared to provide the traditional method for multiplication and division alongside grid and chunking, encouraging pupils to make a choice. Is that sort of stuff banned in primary schools?!

3. I really hope not!! Thanks for your reply - I'll check those out! Also, forgot to say that it is Key Stage 3 books that I'm after!

4. I agree with level up... too much language for SEN....

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Too many pictures. I've been suprised this year how children love basic question sets. Give them 20 questions and it's a competition who can get them all right or finish first, they love seeing the red ticks all down their books, they want to get onto the next set of harder 20 questions and do it all again!

6. I'm using "Level Up" and "Maths on Target 6" for my top group in Y5 (the remainder of the class and school are on Abacus Evolve). I like Target Maths/Maths on Target, because it's differentiated and relatively easy to set work from, although the second one is slightly more colourful and "child-friendly" for that age, in my opinion. Essential Maths is the KS3 version of Target Maths. However, it depends on how you are using the books, I guess. I don't generally follow their set-up, but dip in and out of textbooks when I feel like it would be beneficial.

7. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Welcome to the Maths forum Rob.
    I don't think it a good idea to give so much information about yourself on a public forum; it makes you far too easy to identify.
    I suggest you ask TES to delete this thread.

8. We use exploring Maths and think they are fab