1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school leaving age only a year away

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by TheCleaner, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Firstly, what surprises me most, is how few teachers know anything about this at all, to the point that they are still telling year 10's and younger, "well you only have just over a year to go and then you can do what you want"
    Now that may be the case if the ConDems have decided to axe the proposals but if my memory serves, it was passed through as an Act, therefore law, and is set to come into power next year on current year 10's so they cannot leave until they are 17, then their succeeding year to have to remain in 'some form of training' until 18. I have seen nothing referring to reversing this from Gove?
    There is almost nothing, recent, mentioning anything. As swathes of cuts come through, especially in FE, and also no EMA (which was present when the Act went through), who will fund it? and where will they go? (especially from 11-16 school with currently very little FE uptake).
    To be in 'some form of training' compulsarily until 18 will likely cost a significant amount, will this government put up the money?
    And how will it affect employment law? The idea was that it tackles people leaving school and just going straight into unskilled work requiring no qualifications. I read somewhere on here that you may have a situation of a couple of 16 year olds, legally married and with children, still by law having to attend some form of training.
    It is going to have massive effects when pupils, currently in year 9, find out they can't leave education until 18, and with the scrapping of the funding for work experience at year 10, there will be more people than ever in 2015 who leave education at 18, having never stepped foot in a workplace.

2. Firstly, what surprises me most, is how few teachers know anything about this at all, to the point that they are still telling year 10's and younger, "well you only have just over a year to go and then you can do what you want"
    Now that may be the case if the ConDems have decided to axe the proposals but if my memory serves, it was passed through as an Act, therefore law, and is set to come into power next year on current year 10's so they cannot leave until they are 17, then their succeeding year to have to remain in 'some form of training' until 18. I have seen nothing referring to reversing this from Gove?
    There is almost nothing, recent, mentioning anything. As swathes of cuts come through, especially in FE, and also no EMA (which was present when the Act went through), who will fund it? and where will they go? (especially from 11-16 school with currently very little FE uptake).
    To be in 'some form of training' compulsarily until 18 will likely cost a significant amount, will this government put up the money?
    And how will it affect employment law? The idea was that it tackles people leaving school and just going straight into unskilled work requiring no qualifications. I read somewhere on here that you may have a situation of a couple of 16 year olds, legally married and with children, still by law having to attend some form of training.
    It is going to have massive effects when pupils, currently in year 9, find out they can't leave education until 18, and with the scrapping of the funding for work experience at year 10, there will be more people than ever in 2015 who leave education at 18, having never stepped foot in a workplace.

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

My guess is that many will leave school at 16, and have their 'education' through other types of providers...or just truant!

Incidentally most teachers probably are just too busy to worry about this - LAs or SLTs need to be planning, not teachers!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think they have to stay in 'education' until they are 17. They will still leave school at the end of yr 11 and then will enroll at college as normal. However they wll not be able to drop out after a few weeks like many do now. They will have to stay until the end of yr 12 at least.

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Our town has just changed the upper age of the high school down to 16 (currently an upper school, but not for much longer) I would like to see them force the kids into colleges in towns 5 miles away! This could turn out to be very interesting!

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

How will this be enforced, and by whom?

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I imagine it will be enforced in the same way as it is now....badly!

8. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

But it isn't enforced now -there is nothing to enforce. Teenagers are free to stop attending college whenever they want.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I meant badly as how it is enforced in schools. To be honest if a yr 11 decides to stop attending we can go through all the motions eventually ending up in the courts but by then the year will have ended and there isn't the will to do anything anymore.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Anyway you are making the assumption that the politicians who thought up this policy actually consulted with anyone at the chalkface or even considered what to do with non-attenders. They got the desired soundbite when they announced it, that's all they were after.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The Government will use their normal enforcers - OFSTED.
    I am unaware of much planning going on in my school - but that doesn't mean that it isn't happenening. Schools and colleges will need to expand capacity on the courses for lower achievers. There are some youngsters though who need to break out and find out that they need further training. Some, if just "dumped" on a course, even if it is appropriate will rebel and make life a misery for those who want to be there.
    P

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

As far as I m aware we have no plans to expand, we stuggle to fit years 7 to 11 in our buildings let alone any more. So ours will have to go onto FE as normal.