1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school fear

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chaz_burgess, Jul 27, 2017.

1. chaz_burgess

chaz_burgess New commenter

Started a new school. After 8 years in KS1, am now in KS2 with an NQT... in a split 4/5 class. Told we are planning from White Rose but used to Abacus (maths not my strongest...) Unsure if I even have a starting point for a lot of the planning...
    All new topics for our foundation too so feel we're starting from scratch. Absolutely petrified. Any advice?

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I've been where you are now re going from years in KS1 then a move to KS2 and discovered after a couple of months of panic and chasing my tail that I loved it and now I'm pleased that I will stay in Y4 this coming year. As for maths I'm in exactly the same boat moving from Abacus to WRM. I've mapped Abacus using their half termly overview so when I start WRM I have all the resources ready. E.g. We start with place value and number and I know exactly where it is in Abacus. I love Abacus and think changing is a mistake. Last year I dipped into WRM for additional mastery when I needed to. I think this shift to WRM is a fashion. It has a place but is not the Holy Grail our maths co-ordinator thinks it is. Changes for changes sake. Good luck in your new job.

chaz_burgess likes this.
  4. smurphy6

What topics? I might by able to help. I've got plans and smart boards to go for my topics.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. chaz_burgess

'Why were the Victorians important?'

It would be great if you could help!

6. smurphy6

I'm doing a water topic which is mainly science and geography then Romans which is history then whole term of rainforest then Egyptians and finally a food based topic on changing states, teeth and digestion. I'm all planned for these plus I've got English plans and smart boards for the following: Books - The Promise, The Hodgheg, Jemmy Button, The Iron Man. Other: Unit on Game Shows, Adverts, poetry (kennings, odes and insults), non chron reports related to rainforests, own book of the dead. My school is shut for the summer as of today and reopens in the last week so I could send you plans and smart boards that week if any are helpful. In my school we share everything and I'm a firm believer in not reinventing the wheel and of course you can fiddle with the lot to suit your own class.

sbkrobson likes this.
  7. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

Victorians is a fab topic.loads of resources available.always start with place value and number with maths.

chaz_burgess likes this.
  8. chaz_burgess

Ah thanks. I don't think we are doing the same but I'll let you know! Thank you for the gesture.

9. chaz_burgess

I know the order Maths has to be in- WRH give you THAT bit. They give you objectives, some ideas for activities and the long term plan. But that's it. Abacus gives you EVERYTHING You just take what you want, chuck what you don't, differentiate to your needs and boom- focus on teaching!