1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school builds - Wasted opportunities

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Treefayre2, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

A school I presently work at (1950s and discriminatingly dangerous) is finally getting a new build following several delays (it was supposed to get an architect super school). So it's a prefab job - loads of cubes joined together with bolts. Need more space: bolt another cube on.

ANyroad, absolutely no use of solar panels or wind generation has been integrated into the design, no school gardens, composting, recycling either. Very sad.

Does anyone know of upcoming school builds that are integrating green initiatives?

lanokia likes this.
  2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

AFAIK all the new builds in one LA that I work in have integrated a certain amount of green initiatives. No solar panels, wind power or composting, but school gardens and recycling. It's not enough, of course, but how far, could/should these builds go? Composting toilets? Straw wall cavity insulation? Water butts? Energy saving light bulbs? Ground source heat pump heating? Non-concrete based fabrication?

You probably won't want to talk to me, but hey, this is the only response you've got. So far.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

They seem to do renewable heating systems round here. Lots of gardening and recycling things going on in all schools, not just the new ones.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We had a wind turbine built in the car park. It later became unsteady when in use so now it's an expensive ornament.

Our biggest problem from the new build was a lack of office space, a lack of storage, little provision for staffing and classrooms being built on a 'usage' and not a 'staffing' basis. As a result there are times I have to lug a lesson of text/exercise books plus resources over to a science lab.

Big waste of a good opportunity.

5. Flere-Imsaho

I feel your school management need a new career, lanokia.

lanokia likes this.
  6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's things like that that really annoy me - waste of valuable resources - a wind turbine sitting doing nothing, when it could be shifted to a new location, stabilised and put to good use.

Hot-desking, lack of storage and very small department bases seem to be a common problem with new builds.

lanokia likes this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

I always wonder how hot desking fits in with all the data protection and confidentiality stuff. Where do you safely store things?

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

In your planner? Filing cabinet in the Department base? Haven't a clue what other people do, I've never asked them.

9. Flere-Imsaho

No, I mean the huge pile of jotters, the massive files of good work and pupil commented upon targets, the copies of individual plans, interventions etc. It fills my classroom cupboard (I have to clear my desk every night in case the cleaners see any information) and God knows where it would go if I didn't have a classroom.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh good lord that sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare if ever I heard one.

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Some of the first "new builds" I've worked in are now looking very shabby after only a few years use, And whilst some are fantastic pieces of modern design there are others not really suited for a school with too much emphasis on being open plan. This means that there is interferance from other lessons and no where to store books etc.

Plus, whats happened to the staff rooms?

12. Flere-Imsaho

Well, when they informed us any bit of paper with a pupil name and class, including their work, should be secured at night, we did all look sideways at the displays...

13. Flere-Imsaho

I visited a new build staff room recently which had a great big telly and a proper kitchen built into the corner.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:eek: Seriously?! What is confidential about jotters? Now I understand why you asked the question you did. That's just absurd, Flere, and it's not a situation I've ever come across.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I once accepted a temp position in a school where the department was open plan and we all had to hot desk. No one had a designated classroom and due to timetabling issues (the subject was over subscribed, basically) if you had a free period you had to find somewhere outwith the department to work, as all the rooms were in use. I loathed it and left.

16. Flere-Imsaho

There has been an issue with people misplacing work laptops or leaving files on the train so the powers that be have gone into lockdown mode.
    I can almost see it as the building is a shared one and we have community classes leaving a mess and shifting things about randomly using the facilities.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

New build primary school near me has a vast amount of outside space, but it's a barren wasteland. Would have been an ideal opportunity to build in gardening areas, space for growing vegetables and so on. There are no trees, therefore no shade. The building itself is monitored for carbon dioxide emissions and I guess, has a number of energy saving options.

The design is poor imho though and there's little parking space.

Btw, I thought that staff rooms were a lot hing of the past!

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

How utterly inept - the outside space, if not used solely by the school, could have been jointly run by the school and an allotment association or school and local horticultural society . . like that the children could have access to it (maybe have input into part of the space) and benefit from engaging with and learning from, the adults working on the site. A win win situation.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That would irritate me, Flere, things getting shifted around randomly . . .but I think schools allowing community use of their facilities is a good thing.

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, I agree Kibosh. A new building is an ideal opportunity to learn from the mistakes of the past, but I guess fancy primary coloured stripes on the oath road has abuilding were more important than planning for a long term future.

As it stands, the approach road has already turned into a race track, the parking for staff is already inadequate and local residents are up in arms about all of those issues.