1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school and never taught creative curriculum - 'Superheroes' topic - year 4/5...any ideas??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Miss_Al, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here. I posted a while back on a similar sort of topic, but at the time didn't know what my class topic was going to be, so was advised to re-post when I knew what my topic was to be.
    Anyway, I'm starting a new school in Sept, which seems to be the polar opposite of my old school! One of the differences is that they run a creative curriculum at my new school, which I've never done before so it's all a bit new and I'm not used to thinking too creatively yet, as my old school was very subject-based and followed the NC guidelines to a T.
    The school has shown me how to plan etc and link to NC to make sure we're covering what we need to be. They have a 'skills progression' ladder for each year for Hist, Geog, Art, Music and DT. PE, ICT, RE and Science are based loosely on QCA progression guidance, and Lit and Num coverage is a bit more complicated (still getting my head around this 1!).
    Basically, I should take the half-term topic of 'superheroes' and break it down into weeks (obviously normally about 6 for the half term). Each week, have a different 'sub-theme' to focus on. I've thought of one or two possibilties, including looking at real-life superheroes one week, such as firemen (any other ideas on this) or a PARTICULAR person who's a real-life superhero. A possibility of linking history to this if it's someone from the past...?
    I have to try to link all my subjects to the topic (except PE and RE which mainly run separately). I'm starting with 'electricity' in science, and thought about designing our own class superhero in the first couple of days back and having lightning or electricity as a super power, and leading in from there.
    Literacy I'm not too bad with - it's one of my subjects and would feel ok in planning something for this, but any ideas are still very welcome! Maths may be a difficulty for me - it's my least favourite subject and I can't seem to think very creatively about it at the mo!
    Any random help, advice or ideas will be exceptionally welcome to kick-start me off!
    Many thanks :)

2. Thank you very much for that Simon H! There's some great stuff on there to help me get started. What a great site - I haven't seen anything like that before - is it for your children to log onto?

3. Yes - I got frustrated that I couldn't find sites suitable for our infants so decided to just make one myself!

4. You remind me of the school change I made in 1978, only the word "creative" wasn't in vogue then, though with very great freedom for pupils and staff to design and plan the curriculum, very creative it was.
    You don't state the year group, it might help with respones. If I had known what I know now, I'd have enjoyed taking on a specific "super-hero", I didn't find this out to just this last month, but my father was, I believe, a superhero. Relevant to WW2 and the cold war: flushed out Burgess and Maclean.

5. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Hi Miss Al, That sounds exciting and fun! Here's two of the things I've used:
    Hope these help!

6. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Oh, and here's a fun superhero game you can play in class. I use it for maths drilling mainly, but just adapt it to any subject or topic you like!
    Print off a picture of your favourite superhero and another of your favourite supervillain (I use Spiderman and the Green Gobline). Laminate, and sellotape a magnet to the back of each. On the whiteboard, draw a tower with a girl tied up to the top. Put both magnet characters at the bottom. The children have to see if they can help the superhero get to the top before the villain; they do this by answering questions correctly. Each time they get one wrong, the villain moves up. My kids love this game!

7. I wrote a topic web for superheroes in year 3 earlier in the year, to prepare for next academic year. I'm now moving to year 5 and my first topic is going to be superheroes so I'm hoping to write that topic web today.
    They're very brief but might give you some ideas, if you want to take a look at them then send me an e-mail
    lorraryall@yahoo.com

8. You say you're PE willl mainly run separately - does that mean you will br incorporating some PE into your topic?

I only ask because our year 4 teacher did some Superheroes dance with her class last year and they were awesome! It was very much about the movements of a superhero with a suitable piece of music (can't remember what it was now) and this fully engaged all children,particularly the boys.

Don't know what year group you are so a bit hard to suggest ideas however...
    ...designing costumes for your own superhero - selecting suitable materials and thinking about their properties

...designing healthy meal/drink for your superhero

...real life heroes- sporting heroes, Nelson Mandela, Florence NIghtingale, Mother Teresa, etc. You could get the children to complete some work on their own personal hero in their life.

9. What an excellent website. Just right for independent research with Y2. Thank you. [​IMG]

10. Thank you so much for all these ideas from everybody! rkohll love that game idea and the lads particularly will love the website for creating a superhero comic!
    Lorraryall thanks for that really kind offer - I've emailed you [​IMG]
    Shalteir - sorry, I put year 4/5 in the title but forgot to mention my year group in the 1st post! Thanks for the advice on a specific superhero rather than superheroes in general. Really interesting about your dad - amazing what you find out about family and ancestors!
    Buzzby - we have people come in to school to teach our dance, which is why I think it will mainly be taught separately to our topic, otherwise would've loved to try the dance with superheroes theme! Thanks for the ideas of people to study in real life, I was struggling for ideas with that.
    Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. [​IMG]

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What area of History would you link it too? I'm sure it can be/has been done, I was just wondering how.

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Super heroes - greek gods? Hercules - super power strength Mercury - speed etc

13. I've done the same topic with Year 1....there's loads of resources on Scholastic website...some are free...some you need to subscribe...but well worth it!