1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New scheme of work for key stage 3 (year 9)

Discussion in 'History' started by anon158, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Hi, don't know whether this will be of any use but I did similar on my PGCE many years ago. I developed a series of lessons based on the Assassination of JFK which went down really well with year 9, so much so I was told 2-3 years later that kids were coming up into the school and asking about it because they'd seen their siblings doing stuff on it. We started by looking at the idea of conspiracy theories - we did Princess Diana's death with current newspaper articles but obviously that's outdated now so you'd need to find a more modern story to catch their attention. Then we looked at the Zapruder film and watched the motion of JFK's head - discussed what happened. Then we looked at a number of possibilites:
    • the magic bullet theory
    • Lee Harvey Oswald's links to communism - a communist plot
    • Jack Ruby and the link to the Mafia - Mafia plot
    I know the local high school near my middle school also does something similar - it's good for developing detective/thinking skills and getting kids to analyse evidence. Anyway, just a thought.

2. Thank you so much for the ideas and resources. Very helpful