1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Role on SMT - Teacher i/c NQT/GTP and PGCE students

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by weezadance1, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Our SMT are having a bit of a shuffle and I am getting this role in September - and I am very pleased. I would really like to work with NQTs and GTPs as well as oversee the PGCE programme. Only I haven't done this before and the current post holder will still be on our SMT.
    Rather than constantly bug him with questions can anyone suggest a few 'must know' ideas to get me started?!
    Many thanks

2. First an audit: what is in place? How many staff are you looking at? Do departments have identified, experienced mentors (they're the ones that will make this work!), in both PGCE, NQT and GTP? They're very different skills.
    Where you're at
    How many PGCE/NQT/GTP
    Mentors?
    Training needs for mentors?
    Induction programme? Can you get other members of the staff invovled with delivery?
    Observation rota?
    Assessment for NQTs?
    Partnership schools for GTPs?
    Hopefully a lot of these will be in place if this role has been in existance for a while.
    Good luck - my dream job!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Are you primary or secondary? I do that role in primary, but wouldn't have a clue about secondary.

4. Sorry - should have said: Secondary.
    Thanks to gwerty_tara - I am hoping it will be my dream job too!
    An audit is an excellent idea to start with - and something I had on my radar! But thatnk you for all the other ideas.

5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Build on your experiences of working as a mentor for either PGCE students or NQT's. Focus on the school partnership with your local colleges and university that make use of your school.
    Look at the needs of the students and how they will be managed. What paperwork evidence is already in place and what gaps are there.
    Consider looking at all the subject mentors and how they work. Is there any coordinated approach to their roles.
    Sounds like a great job.
    What part of the country are you?

6. Thank you for all the advice, so far. I have started on a number of the suggestions offered here!
    To answer Mrkeys, I am down south.

7. WD

WD New commenter

Also
    1. identify key dates/deadlines in the year (for example when do NQT termly reports need to be done by)
    2. Identify key staff already in place for the NQT/PGCE and GTTP and meet with them asap.
    3. e mail/write to the appropriate institutions introducing yourself and making links you can use for advise etc