1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New role - advice please!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ajh1985, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I have just been appointed to a new role within the academy I work for. On the job description it says that we will get 8 hours per fortnight given to us in order to fulfill the role with a TLR 2A. I was not told on the day of the interview or after I accepted the job that we will not be given that allowance due to staff shortages.

I still haven't been told by SLT that I won't get it - I have only heard it from the another candidate who was told before the interview as she asked about it.

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do??! I don't know whether to just continue the role and if it all gets too much then say about not having the time to do things or whether I should challenge this in some way.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

2. I have just been appointed to a new role within the academy I work for. On the job description it says that we will get 8 hours per fortnight given to us in order to fulfill the role with a TLR 2A. I was not told on the day of the interview or after I accepted the job that we will not be given that allowance due to staff shortages.

I still haven't been told by SLT that I won't get it - I have only heard it from the another candidate who was told before the interview as she asked about it.

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do??! I don't know whether to just continue the role and if it all gets too much then say about not having the time to do things or whether I should challenge this in some way.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

3. Fortunatly the job description is part of the terms and conditions that you agreed to as well as the 2A TLR. If the school tries the "staff shortages" excuse then suggest they employ more staff!

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

...but it is an academy and can do what it likes.

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I would wait until they tell you otherise at which point you can either kick up a fuss e.g. by getting the union involved (as they are breaking your contract) or do the job under the new conditions

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Would you have still applied for the job given the new conditions?
    If not, I think you'd be within your rights to say you don't want it after all. And if you complain, I guess they might interpret that as saying that you don't want the job without the non-contact time.
    Some negotiation might be in order, though: if they can't give you the non-contact time on a regular basis, will there be scope for having the odd day off timetable, perhaps at strategic times?