1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New RESPECT programme - trials needed?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by suzielou1987, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm a Y6 teacher and PSHCE coordinator in a large Junior school in Surrey. Probably like most on here, I was horrified at the rioting and looting that took place in many of our cities this week. I expressed disgust with friends at the actions of so many young people. It was incredibly easy to sit there and pass blame on their parents and secondary schools. I then was watching a news programme with a secondary school head on who passed comment that actually, the respect for authority and basic responsibilities should be taught in our primary schools. This got me thinking.
    I talked with colleagues and we realised some home truths. In the last academic year we have gone on and on in the staffroom about the lack of respect that pupils have given us - mainly low level granted - but disrespect nonetheless. Also in complete inability to take responsibility for their own actions. During the last academic year, this was simply staffroom fodder, but having seen the appaulling actions of some young people last week, I felt compelled to do something, as did many of our staff.
    I have written a school wide programme (which i've originally named the 'RESPECT' programme) which aims to take the teaching of respect and responsibility back to basics in school. It includes a 6 week PSHCE lesson plan format for Years 3-6, a letter to parents, a new home-school behaviour agreement, 6 week's worth of assembly ideas and a implementation powerpoint to show to staff. As we are a CE school, we have also highlighted the Christian element of respect in the assemblies.
    I wondered if anyone out there would be interested in seeing and looking over some of the materials. It should be noted that our school is in an affulent 'well to do' area, however as I mentioned, we have noticed a shift in the attitudes towards adults in authority, and want to make sure the importance of respect and responsibility goes alongside the teaching of rights in our school.
    Please comment below for more info or feedback.
    Thanks,

Suzie x

Extract taken from letter to parents:

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

...we
    are having a focus on three key areas: Respect, Rights and Responsibilities.

To
    enforce these areas, we are delivering focused teaching on each area to ensure
    that the high standard of behaviour we expect from our pupils is being adhered to
    not only in school time, but also in the wider community. We will be reminding our pupils of the
    importance of the values, and also taking each ‘R’ back to basics to ensure
    they are fully understood.

We
    will be delivering this education through several ways. Each class will be
    having a focus on respect in their Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship
    Education lessons weekly until half term. Whole school assemblies will also
    address respect and responsibilities, with an emphasis on the Christian
    teachings on morals and ethics. When devising their own ‘class rules’, pupils
    will be introduced to the three rights of education: The right to learn, the
    right to be safe and the right to respect whilst also examining how respect and
    responsibility play into these rights.

Year
    3 and 4 will be looking at respect towards adults in the wider community,
    including the role of the Police, Ambulance and Fire Brigade; the responsibilities
    they have in keeping us safe and the respect they should be shown. Year 5 and 6
    will be looking at respect for property, other people’s rights, adults in
    authority and what makes you a good citizen. Year 5 and 6 will also be looking
    at the affect of the London Riots this summer on local communities.

We
    hope that you will discuss this programme with your child, and work in
    partnership with the school to ensure that the high reputation of our
    schoolchildren is upheld, and in some cases, restored.

2. Hi all,
    I'm a Y6 teacher and PSHCE coordinator in a large Junior school in Surrey. Probably like most on here, I was horrified at the rioting and looting that took place in many of our cities this week. I expressed disgust with friends at the actions of so many young people. It was incredibly easy to sit there and pass blame on their parents and secondary schools. I then was watching a news programme with a secondary school head on who passed comment that actually, the respect for authority and basic responsibilities should be taught in our primary schools. This got me thinking.
    I talked with colleagues and we realised some home truths. In the last academic year we have gone on and on in the staffroom about the lack of respect that pupils have given us - mainly low level granted - but disrespect nonetheless. Also in complete inability to take responsibility for their own actions. During the last academic year, this was simply staffroom fodder, but having seen the appaulling actions of some young people last week, I felt compelled to do something, as did many of our staff.
    I have written a school wide programme (which i've originally named the 'RESPECT' programme) which aims to take the teaching of respect and responsibility back to basics in school. It includes a 6 week PSHCE lesson plan format for Years 3-6, a letter to parents, a new home-school behaviour agreement, 6 week's worth of assembly ideas and a implementation powerpoint to show to staff. As we are a CE school, we have also highlighted the Christian element of respect in the assemblies.
    I wondered if anyone out there would be interested in seeing and looking over some of the materials. It should be noted that our school is in an affulent 'well to do' area, however as I mentioned, we have noticed a shift in the attitudes towards adults in authority, and want to make sure the importance of respect and responsibility goes alongside the teaching of rights in our school.
    Please comment below for more info or feedback.
    Thanks,

Suzie x

Extract taken from letter to parents:

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

...we
    are having a focus on three key areas: Respect, Rights and Responsibilities.

To
    enforce these areas, we are delivering focused teaching on each area to ensure
    that the high standard of behaviour we expect from our pupils is being adhered to
    not only in school time, but also in the wider community. We will be reminding our pupils of the
    importance of the values, and also taking each ‘R’ back to basics to ensure
    they are fully understood.

We
    will be delivering this education through several ways. Each class will be
    having a focus on respect in their Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship
    Education lessons weekly until half term. Whole school assemblies will also
    address respect and responsibilities, with an emphasis on the Christian
    teachings on morals and ethics. When devising their own ‘class rules’, pupils
    will be introduced to the three rights of education: The right to learn, the
    right to be safe and the right to respect whilst also examining how respect and
    responsibility play into these rights.

Year
    3 and 4 will be looking at respect towards adults in the wider community,
    including the role of the Police, Ambulance and Fire Brigade; the responsibilities
    they have in keeping us safe and the respect they should be shown. Year 5 and 6
    will be looking at respect for property, other people’s rights, adults in
    authority and what makes you a good citizen. Year 5 and 6 will also be looking
    at the affect of the London Riots this summer on local communities.

We
    hope that you will discuss this programme with your child, and work in
    partnership with the school to ensure that the high reputation of our
    schoolchildren is upheld, and in some cases, restored.

3. tange

tange New commenter

Hi there,
    Yes, this sounds like an excellent up to date resource. I would love to find out more information and I would be willing to give you feedback.
    I am also a year 6 teacher in a large primary school.
    I look forward to hearing from you,
    tange01@hotmail.com

4. I'd love to have a look at your resources and would be happy to provide feedback. I work in Scotland and we start back next week. I will pm my address and give a few more details. Thanks

5. Have sent you a PM

6. I would also be really interested in looking at the materials and discussing if possible.
    teachtigger@tesco.net

7. Hi, thanks for all replies. I am in the process of zipping up the various files so will send them across when finished. Thanks for taking time to read and respond.
    Suzie

8. Sounds really interesting and useful - I've sent you a PM.
    Thank you [​IMG]

9. Hi,
    E-mails sent.
    Thanks,

10. Hi,
    E-mails sent.
    Thanks,

11. cas64

cas64 New commenter

Hi I would be interested to have a look as well as a PSHE Co-ordinator and Year 3 teacher working at a school in a not so affulent area but Im sure it still could be of use to us. We currently use the SEAL progamme but always looking at ways to improve the PSHE curriculum and their definate is a lack of respect shown but certain children in our school and this seems to be starting earlier. I was previously a year 6 teacher where you expect some of the teenage type attitude but I was surprised when I moved to year 3 that it starts with some children at this age.
    my emaill stevenson759@btintennet.com

12. Hi,
    Thanks for your interest. Have emailed it to you.
    Suzie

13. suzielou1987 I have sent you a message. Thanks

14. Thanks, have e-mailed you.

15. Hi
    As a Year 6 teacher I would love to look at these materials.
    Will PM my email.
    Mizzy

16. Hi SuzieLou
    We're talking about the same thing on our Sept inset, so would be extremely grateful to receive the RESPECT info.
    With many thanks
    Sassy
    sassy5678@btinternet.com

17. Hi,
    Files being emailed over. Thanks for interest.
    Suzie

18. Hi,
    Email sent over. Thanks. :)

19. This sounds very interesting and would it'd be really good to have a look at to try.
    Email is cav321@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks very much in advance.