1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Report - Using TAs to teach undermines education

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by edwardlyn, Jun 18, 2011.

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8539366/Teaching-assistants-fail-to-improve-school-results.html

2. "But unions have claimed that many schools are simply using support staff as
    cheap labour, often leaving them in full charge of lessons.

A Government-funded report in 2009 found that assistants were used as
    temporary cover in more than 80 per cent of schools.

One-in-10 state primaries and 40 per cent of secondaries admitted regularly
    turning to support staff to fill in for absent teachers for more than three
    days at a time. Some used assistants for a whole term."

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Whilst it worries me that TAs are regularly asked to 'cover' for teachers & so supplies like myself lose out on work. .
    But what about TAs, who are in fact qualified teachhers, who've failed to get a permanent post & run out of time to complete induction & had to take posts as TAs? Or people like myself, who will be faced with working till 66 and know we won't have energy to keep going that long & will be looking at TA posts?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I do private tutoring and frequently here about cover supervisors taking maths for 3 to 4 days in a row. That adds up to a lot of lessons without a qualified teacher.

Won't someone think about the children?
    [​IMG]

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My sister's a TA. The reason she won't become a HLTA is because her Head uses HLTAs for maternity covers. She says why should she stand in for a full time teacher for six months for a pittance when she can earn the same pittance for doing a whole lot less?

I suspect the news report is more aimed at giving Heads an excuse to save money by getting rid of TAs who accompany kids with Special Needs.