1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New reception class September ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaz_allan, May 30, 2011.

1. Hi. Can anyone tell me if they start phonics, key words , guided read and write in the first few weeks or do you wait or indeed just do these things with those that are ready? Does anyone do assessments of any kind when they are first in school or o you follow on from what the nursery has said?

I have been away from reception or a while and would love some up to date info for sept.

Thanks all

2. We also do baseline assessments when they come in. We don't start introducing sounds until after the first half term.Then it's a sound a day and a consolidation week at the end of term. We do lots of phase 1 in Autumn 1, lots of rhyme and alliteration and syllables, listening games. I do lots of segmenting as part of the daily routine and in songs and games e.g can you touch your h-ea-d. Old Mc Donald had a c-ow to encourage the children to blend. The more able begin segmenting themselves. We start guided after a few weeks of settling in - these are short sound games and tie in with what the inputs are to reinforce them.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We do assessents from day 1. We look at the assessments that come from the various pre-school providers, and do find these helpful. But we also do our own assessments, because children are likely to have changed over the summer holidays, and because it's hard to know if the different nurseries and playgroups have interpreted things the same way as we would, or indeed, the same way as each other.
    We begin phonics as soon as our staggered entry has finished, and we have all the children in school. That way, we've taught all the Jolly Phonics sounds by Christmas. We do oral blending from the start, and blending to read and segmenting to spell as soon as we've taught the first set of sounds.
    We start guided writing pretty much straight away. Obviously the children are at very different levels: some will draw a picture and make marks underneath that they tell us are writing, some prefer to dictate their ideas, many will write strings of letters and a few can use phonics with support.
    I don't do guided reading at all. I do shared reading with big books as soon as all the children are in. But I prefer reading with children individually to doing guided reading.
    I can't remember when we start key words, but I think it's probably January. I like children to have lots of practice at blending to read before we try and teach a sight vocabulary.

4. Hi
    We are similar, we do Phase 1 L+S activities for the first half term and then start to introduce letter sounds int he second half (In previous years I waited until after Christmas to introduce them but have had such fantastic reading and writing results this year I would definately say start them as soon as they are ready) Obviously you can continue Phase 1 activities throughout to support the ones who are not quite ready.
    The tricky words are introduced in Phase 2 anyway so normally just follow that pattern and add HFW when I feel they are ready.
    We send reading books home just before the first half term - often they are just picture books to begin with to develop their language and story telling skills; even for the ones who can read simple words as they may be good at reading but have no idea on how to describe/retell stories or pull out clues from the pictures; obviously we see what is appropriate for each child.
    I also do a baseline assessment and see how these match up with what the feeder nurseries have said to give me an indication of their levels and what to plan.
    I don't tend to do guided writing this early on - maybe a piece of assessed writing that goes into a folder each half term but a lot of their writing evidence comes from the child initiated activities/CP.
    x