1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New puppy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by crysys, Dec 21, 2015.

1. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I need some advice from the dog lovers on here. When I retired in the summer, I got a puppy. Having always had dogs in my life, I had looked forward to having another. Previous dogs had been rescue dogs so getting a pup was a new venture. It has been an interesting time to say the least but the biggest issue is that he doesn't eat dog food. He came to us at 8 weeks eating just dry stuff so I researched and tried him on expensive online foods, made from wholesome ingredients as well as all sorts of packets and tins from shops. He walked away from it all. He's also losing interest in the dry food. What he really wants to eat is what we have. I have given him our leftovers when worried about him and I presume he now prefers it. He will go all day not eating and gives us hell when we eat. I know I made a huge mistake by giving him human food but can you suggest what I can try either food wise or whatever. I am so used to dogs bolting down their dinner that having a 6 month old who would willingly starve himself worries me a lot.
    Please don't criticise me. I know I have been stupid and that he's probably manipulating me. Many thanks.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You could look into raw feeding. I have known people use it successfully with fussy dogs. There are lots of help groups online.

I have found a tin of sardines a tempting treat for dogs. Ours share a tin on their biscuits for breakfast.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You need to break him of the begging habit. If you do give him your food then he should only ever have it in his bowl when you have finished. One of our rescues was a nightmare when we had her but it took less than a month to stop her from doing it.

4. crysys

Thank you for your help. Will look into raw foods. Yes, the begging is unbearable. I will be firm!

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What breed?

A dog will never self-starve. Don't worry. He'll continue to decline HIS food if there's any chance you will succumb to his begging.

Two of my three are like this. Never had anything other than greedy dogs before. But two of them won't feed from their own bowl until we've finished eating and they know they aren't getting anything else. I will never feed from the table. So combine a few of your palatable (and safe) scraps with dog food AFTER your meal. Feed him. Don't leave it on the floor. Take it away if he doesn't accept it at once.

I do combine human food with their food. But only plain things like rice and meat or fish. Potato if not salted and really bland. Rescue it from the saucepan before you mash it and don't salt it. Some cheap sardines in water or olive oil. Tuna. And chicken scraps. Carrot.

How long have you left him without giving in? You can easily leave it for a day (24 hours) as long as he has water. As for brands of food? Not that important. Whatever you think appropriate. One of mine is a bit delicate and has grain-free Harringtons from Sainsbury's.

Be firm. The next food he has comes in his bowl. It's dog food with a bit of chicken and rice. But nothing from the table. And he IS manipulating you. I'd love to know what breed he is.

6. crysys

He's a cockapoo. Chocolate and fluffy with a cute brown nose! They are known for being very affectionate and apparently never grow up! Gawd! Will also work on your advice. It's so difficult though with those pleading eyes!

7. grumpydogwoman

Ha ha ha ha ha. Cockapoo.
    My tricky little s o d is a CAVApoo.

WP_20151103_002.jpg

Sad, pathetic creature. So mournful. So badly-treated! Don't you believe it!

Any poodle-hybrid is more cunning than a barrel-load of monkeys.

You'll learn! I promise you.

Noja and badger_girl like this.
  8. crysys

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Never give him your food. Don't feed the dog where you eat, eat first, and lock the dog out if necessary. Show him the lack of food in your area and then put food in his bowl. If he begs, take him to his bowl and show him the food. He will eat when he is hungry.

And speak to your vet. They have really good advice. Mine is based on experience rather than expertise.

10. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

And stop feeling guilty...I remember vividly saying our puppy was never allowed on the sofas...well, he's sitting with me now as I type. Enjoy!

11. grumpydogwoman

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Our Joke Russell terriorist pup learnt how to **** his leg last month to have a pee, rather than squat for it and has since been fascinated by lamposts, although he hasn't taken to peeing up them yet. He doesn't **** his leg to poo though, just does the traditional triple circle around where it will take place, then gets on with it with some urgency.

Life would be simpler for the pair of us if there was an agreement between us why the walk was required and where the poo will take place. It would be beneficial too if the little sod would sit still while I clear it up instead of tugging on the hand that holds the poo bag.

He is without doubt, the most stubborn dog I've ever know. Hates getting wet, so if he thinks there's any chance of rain, the choice is to either tug his head off to drag him outdoors or pick him up and carry him out. I wouldn't mind a quid for every occasion he wasted my time being sent out on an unsuccessful poo mission, only to find that my sweetheart does the trip again herself ten minutes later and flushes the contents of the poo bag down the toilet within minutes of going out.

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Anything with a trace of Spaniel, will have been given the eyes of the most pathetic, badly done by, starved, mistreated dog ever to take a breath. They have had my husband completely under their spell for 40+ years. I'm the wicked witch of the West because I don't allow myself to be fooled!!

My first dog was a X Border Collie who was very intelligent, had a heart the size of a house, was completely loyal to me and never took me for an idiot. She lived to almost 20 and I have her paw print on my heart. :)

Flere-Imsaho likes this.