1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New primary timetable with half hourly lessons

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Illumined, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Just curious to know if anyone here has been given revised timetables with the expectation of half hour lessons for core subjects and what their experience is after having got used to 45mins to 1hour lessons. I can find nothing on the net that shows this is normal practice in primary schools but it must be as we've been asked to change everything from next term.

2. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

Timetabling is down to the school so it may be normal practise in some schools. I personally wouldn't like this.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Are you sure the expectation is for 1/2 sessions for basic subjects? After all English neatly sub-divides into say grammar/literature/spelling/comprehension and Maths into mental/practical/theoretical.
    We had a local Middle school which had a 15min timetable which at first one thought 'What!' but worked out really neatly for subdivisions of 15 mins (eg spelling/ registration), 1/2, 3/4, hour, 1 1/4, 1 1/2 session (last two useful for games or longer science/DT/Art practicals) and made for very flexible planning e g 2 hour pm sessions- 1/2 hour RE followed by Games or 3/4 hour Humanities followed by DT.
    So half hour sessions might not be as bad as you fear.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We tried this for a while and I found that I was running round like an idiot getting all my preparation and esources ready for each little lesson. Exhausting and unsettling for the children. Dont do it!!

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

hopefully it means that you can ditch all the standard ofsted lesson enforcement stuff of starter, main , plenary and just get on and teach using your prof judgement.
    sounds a bit short, but then before the national curriculum and the enforcement of all the bits of the lesson mentioned above very few if any secondary had much longer than 40 minutes. Hoepfully like secondaries used to, you will just teach double lessons!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In some schools being asked to change everything can be on the whim of senior leaders and has nothing at all to do with best or normal practice.

This could be a result of them observing lessons and noticing that staff seemed unable to keep the children's interest for a whole hour. By insisting on shorter lessons they may hope to overcome this.