1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Primary curriculum dropped

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WolfPaul, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Well unfortunately the NPC will now be scrapped but that doesnt mean you can't use the methodology.
    NPC and subsequent guidance was formed on best practise already happening in schools. For some schools the new curriculum would have meant no change.
    Tories want to reduce prescription further. According to the tories the national curriculum was 600 pages long... i can only assume they were counting the current curriculums for primary and secondary (including non-stat pages and pictures), the new proposed curriclum, eyfs and all non statutory guidance produced.
    I also assume that the tories havent actually done any research (or are simply ignoring it) into the NPC, (which does exactly what they want and reduces prescription by encouraging school design) and/or what teachers want to see.
    I hope the handbooks and guidance sent out to schools don't go to waste

2. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

If they are, then it will be the last governments fault for arrogantly proceeding with the curriculum development to the extent that they did, in the full knowledge that there was political opposition and they were very unlikely to be able to change the law before the election.
    But this is no surprise; New Labour showed a breathtaking disregard for the parliamentary process throughout their time in office. The very idea that they might not be able to implement a policy probably never entered their heads.

3. You have a point, and a lot of time and money was spent on developing and implementing the NPC. It was always always a massive risk that it wouldnt get through parliament, which was recognised at least, or it could have cost a whole lot more!