1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Primary curriculum dropped

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WolfPaul, Apr 7, 2010.

1. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

The new primary curriculum has been dropped from the education bill currently going through the Commons, to allow the bill as a whole to go through before the election.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8607677.stm
    So that means that if there's a change in government, it is very unlikely to become law at all.

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

As we expected. I'm sure there are a lot of politicians feeling very smug with themselves about the whole business.

3. tafkam

4. Would someone like to point out to me the pluses/minuses of all this? Sorry - I find the whole thing confusing. I thought the new Primary Curriculum was a done deal?

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Here's one I'm pleased about:
    "The Pupil and Parent Guarantees – which guarantee core rights and
    entitlements for pupils and parents"
    Complainers' charter, that one, when you look at the detail, as well as giving the Secretary of State for Education almost unlimited powers to frame the guarantess themselves, with no need to consult parliament.

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Yes, you might well have thought so, looking at all the stuff on the web site, and listening to the government's <strike>stormtroopers </strike>consultants. This government has never paid any regard to parlimentary scrutiny and/or approval. None of the curriculum reforms have actually been passed by parliment, and they won't be now because of the election. Should there be a change in government, they won't be implemented at all.

7. All those new NC documents sent out to school last term .......what a waste of money!

8. But they were going to be my holiday reading, looks like I needn't do it now[​IMG]

9. You know, a lecturer of mine mentioned before we broke up for Easter that New Primary Curriculum document hard copies were like gold dust (whether this is true or not I have no idea - seems to be the case where we are at any rate). I think this might explain why...

10. I've been on a science course all about the new national curriculum science programmes of study. Course leader said 3-4 copies of the new document sent out into schools......why didn't they wait??

11. actually...already know the answer![​IMG]

12. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Wel, well wp. It seems you may have been right after all. i bow down and lick your boots in apology...[​IMG]
    I think we'll carry on with our curriculum reform at my school anyway - it is much more interesting than before and an overhaul was needed, I think.

13. This makes me SO CROSS!!!!
    How much money has been potentially wasted on the Rose Review and writing the new curriculum and now it is unlikely to even see the light of day. Also all this debate and money on using report cards and the tories won't support it 'cause parents like league tables apparently. Had no-one thought about a looming election before they spent our taxes! (I'd better still get paid for my 1:1 tuition :) )

14. Linked to this, does anyone know what the future of the new literacy and numeracy primary frameworks is?
    Met a friend the other day who said she went on literacy coordinator course and was told that they are not putting any more investment into the website, resources etc and the course leader told them to download everything they could because the sites will be turned off!!!!
    Seems odd and far fetched to me, anyone heard anything??!!

15. tafkam

It was announced that the National Strategies would be wound up in 2011 some time ago. I don't imagine all the materials will disappear for a second. They may well move, but just as likely the website address will just change slightly.
    As for the annoyance, I'm not sure what else could have been done really. Teachers would have complained if a New Curriculum was knocked up in a few months because it would clearly be rushed. Now because they have taken time over its development, the risk was always there that it wouldn't be pushed through in time for the end of this parliament.
    Personally, I happen to approve of the proposed NC, and so am more annoyed at the Tories for blocking it than at the QCDA/Labour/DCSF for taking their time over it.

16. Thanks Tafkam, that makes sense. Been on maternity leave so have missed out on what has been going on, been too busy living in my own bubble!
    Am also disappointed that new curriculum won't go through. Seemed much more skills based and open to theme planning. Don't hugely understand the politics...does this mean that old nc will remain statutory and the 'new' one will be totally irrelevant and scrap paper?

17. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

I like the new one too but I think you could still use a lot of the ideas to revamp your planning. The DCSF have spent time on it and I felt it was a step forward - giving some freedom back and also including a much more skills based curriculum. Well, if labour get in it may still come about................

18. TweedJacket

TweedJacket New commenter

I don't see any other outcome - or at least, would be very disappointed if they didn't.

19. tafkam

Well, given that the new one wasn't due to come into force until 2011 anyway, I figure that the likely outcomes are:
    1. Labour win, and push through the new curriculum in the summer
    2. Tories win, scrap it completely, and bring out there own curriculum in 2010/2011 and try to push it through for the same date
    3. Hung parliament, followed by Lib/Lab coalition. I think it quite likely that the proposed curriculum would go through in this case, although it's possible that the Lib Dems would argue for a slimmed-down version.

20. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

You don't see any other outcome, with the Tories between 8 and 11 points ahead in the polls? Gosh!