1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New potatoes or baby potatoes?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Sep 18, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

New potatoes are what I grew up with. Have they just been rebranded or are baby potatoes somehow different?

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Oh, and here's my bit (not very original) for sustainability:

Don't whine when you can't get courgettes in january!

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I hate potatoes.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

New potatoes are fresh from the field. Baby potatoes are just small potatoes.

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

That was when much of our veg was seasonal and UK grown. Now any kind of spud from anywhere can be imported (well, until the Johnson gets his way).

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

New potatoes is just a term for potatoes that crop earlier in the year than any others. The ones we typically see in the shops tend to be smaller and waxier than "main crop", which is the term for "not new potatoes". New potatoes are mature and ready for harvest when small, as it happens.
    Baby potatoes are the same as main crop potatoes, but have been harvested when they are just small. They can be floury in texture, but not exclusively so. The reality is that "Baby Potatoes" were marketed under this name originally just so they could sell off the remaining tiddlers before reusing the ground from a crop of larger potatoes. If you grow your own potatoes, any time you get some out the ground for tea, you'll possibly get a mix of big potatoes and baby ones. But not New Potatoes and Main Crop-they are different sorts of potato.

While I'm here-if you do not grow your own potatoes-do it! You need hardly any space, you can grow them in all sorts of containers, and they taste excellent no matter what kind,compared to bought ones.

emerald52 and nizebaby like this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

New potatoes are first earlies.

They are specific varieties, such as Red Duke of York, Arran Pilot, and Rocket etc. They are planted in early spring and mature in a shorter time than second earliest and main crops.

nizebaby likes this.
  8. Malachite19

Malachite19 New commenter

Potatoes size depends how seed potatoes are stored. Store in CO2 instead of using pesticides, next crop are more numerous but smaller. ‘ baby potatoes’

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Thank you all for the information.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I like both of them.

Dad used to grow potatoes in the garden - they were lovely.

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

All new potatoes are baby potatoes, but not all baby potatoes are new potatoes.

New potatoes were originally those harvested to thin out the main harvest and allow them to grow. As they are young their skins are very thin/flaky and should be able to be just rubbed off and sweeter as most of the sugars haven't turned to starch. As they became popular, they are now grown specifically and these are only certain, usually waxy, varieties (e.g. the well known Jersey Royals). In order to be real new potatoes they need to be sold/eaten within a matter of days of being harvested (i.e. they don't lose their unique characteristics of skin and taste). It also mean new potatoes should only be available at limited times of the year So potatoes from any distance are not going to be new potatoes. Supermarkets do tend to use the term new potatoes incorrectly. Often they are actually baby potatoes, These are also harvested whilst still small but not necessarily grown as "new potatoes" and they can be slightly older and/or have experienced some time between harvesting and selling/eaten (months even).

If the skins are not able to be rubbed off with a finger I would say they are not really new potatoes although the industry does allow for an immature thin skin

12. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

Thanks for all that. So knowledgeable.....
    I can't grow potatoes any more. They all get heel worm or eel worm or scab.
    It must be my Irish roots.

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Sufficient water should prevent scab.

14. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

I grew some new potatoes once in a container specially for Christmas day - the seed potatoes had been held back or pushed forward whatever so that grown in the warm and a big shopping bag sized container of compost they would crop for 25th Dec.

They tasted fab! BUT the total cost worked out at about £1.82 per potato:eek:. We got 15 of them.:cool:

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Funnily enough, I have a neighbour who quite understandably tells me he hates his surname, Pertaydo.
    Although probably not as much as his wife, Jackie, does.

16. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

My eel worm resistant variety were riddled with eelworm this year. We harvested one meals worth of mash.
    I'm not growing spuds again, cucumbers for me, they are gorgeous this year.

17. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

You beat me to it!

18. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I remember, decades ago now, when potato prices rose rapidly.( Due to a glut the previous year potatoes got sold into intervention for animal feed, this was followed by a poor harvest, and many farmers stopped growing them due to the previous bad year.) A farmer I new stated selling the bay potatoes for 50p per 1/2 cwt (25 kg). Normally these fell through the riddle and became animal feed.