1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Spiritwalkerness, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

There seems to be no rime nor reason as to how these work. The New Posts tab often hasn't got all the most recent posts that I KNOW have just gone up and if I go into the separate Forum lists I can see that there are new posts showing, yet if I then go and use the New Posts tab they aren't there.
    As for my Alerts, the posts I am alerted to are extremely random, threads I expect to be alerted to aren't and threads I really am not interested in show up?

Is it just me? Have I not clicked/checked/watched threads correctly?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@Spiritwalkerness

Is this where you're clicking?

upload_2015-11-10_0-7-26.png

If you select 'New Posts' it will only show you posts that you haven't read. This new posts tab will also show posts on all forums - not just those you are watching.

Recent Posts should show you all posts, whether or not you have read them.

upload_2015-11-10_0-10-4.png

Alerts have been a bit haphazard sometimes for me too - especially on the midnight thread.

I'm off to bed now, but I'll come back tomorrow to see if further investigation is needed.

3. Spiritwalkerness

Ahh, I hadn't thought about it that way (regarding New Posts)

4. Spiritwalkerness

I think you're right, Marl. Recent posts is the better option

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

6. Spiritwalkerness

I knew I'd mentioned it somewhere. Now all I need to learn is how to link this thread into the thread Vince has started...

Now I tried it out when testing but have never felt the need to use the facility and therefore have forgotten

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You can use a permalink to link from one thread to a particular post in another thread
    I need more Lerts