1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New posters 'bigging up' **********?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dagnabit, Jul 31, 2012.

1. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

There are a few new posters lately mentioning **********. Anyone else smell a rat? Or am I just a paranoid old fruit?

2. Meh... They don't do much for me I have to say. It all looks the same!

3. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

My school has banned anything from Sparkle box.

4. bonniconni

bonniconni New commenter

My school lets us choose what to put on the walls!

5. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

No way would I wish to have anything to do with a site run by a paedophile and making displays/resources for children. I thought everyone knew what he was.

6. Particularly the very same site which got him imprisoned on a paedophilia charge for a second time.

7. Depressing isn't it? My colleagues continue to print off stuff with a smile and "I know you don't like it," because I've told them about the history of it and shown them other websites they could use with similar content...

8. bonniconni

bonniconni New commenter

I'm not in any way supporting **********, but I wonder how many of those people who rail against teachers who do use it are still shopping at M&S, Vision Express, Viking Direct etc??? All of whom advertise on ********** and must therefore fund the site?

9. Just because they might be unaware of his past, we aren't and need to act accordingly. Displays are not life or death and there is no justification for using a site whose creator has done something so horrendous. We are making a stand by not using the site. My issue isn't with the advertisers, it is with him.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think they are directly involved but the nature of the SB site means it collects information from your PC (which is how SB generates income) and displays advertisements from sites you may have visited previously.
    The companies have no control over where their advertisements appear.

11. It's actually Google who collects all your scrummy looking cookies, and then through their "Adchoice" system, they decide what you might like to look at. Companies pay for their ads to appear to certain demographics, but like Msz said, they don't actually choose the site to advertise on - they just choose the demographic they would like to advertise to.

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Actually it's ********** because it uses a Conduit toolbar (the inital reason some authorities blocked the site) this was pre google using our browsing to target adverts
    "Conduit Helps ********** Increase Distribution and Amplify Their Exposure"
    http://storage.conduit.com/MediaKit/**********%20Final.pdf

13. You sure? That's dated 2008, and when I clicked on my advert, it says it's definitely google-run ads now. Oh well, whatever the case, ********** is still crummy!

14. Earl Davids wife

I think you'll find MSZ is sure. That's the nature of SB's Conduit Tool Bar.

15. Just to mention (although I came in for some flak for it before) that some LAs have announed ********** as 'OK to use' because the owner is now incarcerated. My own, for example, sent an email to schools teling them the owner was no longer 'the owner' and so we could use it again! This may explain the resurgence in recommendations.

16. Earl Davids wife

I find this VERY hard to believe. Why on earth would Samuel (Daniel) Kinge aka SB relinquish ownership of such a lucrative site. He wouldn't and there's nothing in law that says he'd have to give it up either. Though it may well be in some relatives name (a front more respectable than he is). It is still his site and he's still on the sex offenders register. He had a relative 'run' it while he was in prison last time but it was still his site and he still got paid for it.
    You say he's now incarcerated - is he in prison for a <u>third</u> time???!!!!

17. Earl Davids wife

Hope the above question gets a reply from milliebear1 but in the meantime I did a bit of snooping and as the link below shows, Samuel Kinge is still a "current director" of SB.
    http://companycheck.co.uk/company/06164228

18. I stand fully corrected :)

19. I will repeat, that I am in no way suggesting that he no longer owns the site, but that some LAs have promoted this advice in the past...including my own. I assume that is the result of erroneous info on the part of the LA..

20. Is he anything to do with ******? It looks quite similar to **********.