1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New piano teacher - where to advertise

Discussion in 'Music' started by GiraffeWah, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am just trying to start out as a piano teacher, and I was wondering where the best places to advertise for students are. I am also hoping to teach theory up to grade 5, and potentially cello as well.
    It is a long time since I have looked for tutors, so I was hoping someone might be able to offer advice. Would it be appropriate to contact the local schools in the area with my details?
    thanks in advance!

2. Hello,
    I am just trying to start out as a piano teacher, and I was wondering where the best places to advertise for students are. I am also hoping to teach theory up to grade 5, and potentially cello as well.
    It is a long time since I have looked for tutors, so I was hoping someone might be able to offer advice. Would it be appropriate to contact the local schools in the area with my details?
    thanks in advance!

3. QFE

QFE New commenter

Word of mouth is frankly the best. I would invest in some business cards as I have found that I get people asking me if I teach at other paid gigs.
    Try and build up a mixed portfolio if you can - teaching, accompaniment, soloist, etc gives you far more options. I quite enjoy doing arrangements for others as you can spend all day in PJs and get paid :)

4. In addition to the ideas above the other places to advertise are on line and in your local music shops, the latter will normally hold a list of teachers which they will distribute to anyone enquiring, get yourself put on it.

5. Are you planning to teach at home or in schools? Some local authorities employ piano teachers to send into schools. Check out your local music service and also neighbouring services as well, if you are prepared to travel. If you are not employed by a music service and want to teach in schools you will have to have an up to date CRB check - I think you will have to pay for this.
    To be honest, I would not send my daughter to a private teacher if they did not have a CRB.
    When I started out I offered lessons in my local community and to friends and parents of my duaghter's friends. It did not take long for me to have more than I could cope with!

6. Just put an ad in the local paper shops and also in any local rag in your area, or free mag which goes out regularly (if you pay for a year it is often cheaper). When I taught piano privately, I got loads from these methods, and still get calls occasionally, several years later! And advertise yourself for all ages. Some of my most interesting pupils were senior citizens, even if they were not the longest lasting ones!

7. Thanks for all the advice here, really useful!

I am hoping to teach outside of schools at the moment, I have checked my local authority and they have no vacancies, but it is something I will keep in mind for the future.

I had a CRB done when I started my PGCE, how often should I redo this as a private piano teacher - I ask because I am a members of the musician's union so I can get one done through that, but at a cost of £54 which is quite an expense as I have no pupils yet!

thanks

8. A little of your question - what's the going rate for a 30-minute lesson form a qualified and experienced instrumental teacher these days?

9. I've advertised at £15 for half an hour and £25 for a full hour, as a new teacher which seems to be the going rate. Personally I would be reluctant to pay more than £20 for half an hour instrumental tuition at present. Others may feel differently though :)

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The ISM and MU undertake an annual survey of private tuition rates, the mid-point of which is currently £30 per hour, so you are not too far out. Rates have always tended to vary in different parts of the country, of course.

11. Thanks GiraffeWah, and thanks Florian.
    I'm an Australian music teacher now resident in Hampshire (near Southammpton) and looking for work, either classroom or private piano.
    Any contacts would be very much appreciated.
    Michael

12. Thanks GiraffeWah, and thanks Florian.
    I'm an Australian music teacher now resident in Hampshire (near Southampton) and looking for work, either classroom or private piano.
    Any contacts would be very much appreciated.
    Michael