1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Phase Leader role - any advice very welcome!!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by aliceclare13, Aug 18, 2015.

1. I am joining a new school in 2 weeks and have been asked to fill the role of joint UKS2 Phase Leader. I am a very new teacher and am petrified, but quite excited by the challenge. Are there any Phase Leaders out there who would mind giving me some advice? Where to start with the role? I'm thinking observations and looking at data first, but I'm still quite in the dark about what the role involves.

Any words of wisdom about how to survive/do the job justice?

Thank you!!

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No job description?

3. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Ah yes. Observations - the answer to a question nobody asked. What we all want is another reason to be observed.

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

The Phase Leader role is generally what it says in the title. Expect to be conducting a load of lesson observations and scrutinising data. You will also usually be the second point of contact with parents and the school- first of course being the child's class teacher.

One piece of advice I could give you is to prioritise you time effectively. If you are still going to be teaching classes yourself, you've got to juggle the two jobs...

5. Envyemerald

Envyemerald New commenter

Regular phase meetings are invaluable: sharing examples of work, moderation, evaluating resources, discussing pertinent issues all contribute to consistency and team spirit. I have found that this, and taking the time to talk and listen to staff, have provided me with a much better understanding of the needs of my phase and of individual teachers than a single lesson observation or data analysis (although this needs to be done too!). It is hard though - trying to do a good job as a class teacher while having an open door policy for others. I have other phase leaders to share frustrations with which helps!