1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new pet peeve schools closed instead premises closed school continues

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Apr 2, 2020.

1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

This is a new pet peeve.

The repeated refrain "schools closed"...except only the premises are closed.
    Expect the teaching is carrying on. The premesis may be closed but the school is certainly carrying on.

When the school is distributed to portacabins while the main building is closed is not announced as the school is closed.

The school is more than just its building(s).

Students are still getting lessons.
    Colleagues are still teaching lessons, online.

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

And some are teaching those lessons to pupils in school - and child minding them during the holiday period.

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Friend of mine was just told she can get a free meal for her kids as they are in reception and year 1.

How does that work? Are all the year 2 and under kids going in for school dinners or (I presume) the parents going in to pick up a packed lunch?

Jamvic likes this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I think different schools are managing it in different ways, but it's only for the families eligible for free school meals not the universal school meals up to year 2. We have given out food parcels to the families. I think the government is switching it to vouchers of some kind.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Actually yes, you are right.

She was just told it did not include all kids, only those whose parents are on a range of benefits - not the universal school meals.

primarycat and Jamvic like this.
  6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Some parents are still finding ways to moan about teachers though.

BCE72192-03B6-44FD-A222-B8906CE7914A.jpeg

But her message was met with a mixed response, with some saying the teacher was "very very rude" and "outrageous", but others believing the comment was fair.

One of those to reply was another teacher who thought it was rude, and wondered why they would be trying to teach new content to students at this time anyway.

[​IMG]
    They wrote: "That’s dreadful. I’m shocked that a teacher would send that message" another wrote. "

Another mum commented: "I’m struggling to see what the problem is if your child completed the work".

A fourth said: "I'm not surprised. Cut the teacher some slack. I bet they will have pressure from above to ensure students are completing the work set.

"If I was you I'd email the head of department or head of year explaining that you have prioritised your child's mental wellbeing this week. It might make the leadership team think".

And another agreed: "What would you want the teacher to say? They have a curriculum to stick to. There has to be some give and take on both sides."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...ms-fury-teachers-rude-outrageous-21784870.amp

Same old tabloid ‘angry parent’ stuff. :D

7. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

'

Then those schools are not actually closed are they?
    Which is a key part of the point of my starting this thread.

Jamvic likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Whenever this is covered on the tv it is referred to as parents home-schooling their children. The impression is that someone at school spends a few minutes sending out what to do and long suffering parents have the hard work to do.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed so.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Or ‘school is closed’ when the building itself is open. Technically it isn’t closed then is it?!

Jamvic likes this.
  11. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Again, it is the premesis that are open. Rather than the school.

I had not thought about how synonymous the school and the buildings themselves were with one another for a long time.