1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New pay scales at academy

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Clare_e_2000, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Hi!

I wonder if anyone can help me with this?

I'm currently an NQT at an academy. When I got the job I was offered a salary which is about £1,100 above the M1 pay point (they have their own pay scales). Obviously I accepted but I now realise that I don't know why I was appointed at the higher rate. Now the academy is bringing in new scales which are going to be more in line with the state sector pay scale and so what I am wondering is if I was entered onto the scale at point 2 (on their scale) rather than point 1, will this be continued when they bring in the new scale (i.e. will i be on M3) or will I be put onto M2 (as it will be my second year teaching). This will be about £500 increase in my wages rather than the £1500 (roughly) increase I was expecting by going up the current scale,

I know I sound greedy but I had already budgeted for next year (in the process of buying a house) so it will be a rather huge disappointment if they decide to put me onto M2.

Thank you for your responses!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

We can all tell you what ought to happen, but academies can do whatever they like with teachers' pay. I'm intrigued as to why they began with their own, different pay scale and have now decided to bring it into line with other state sector schools. Have they given any reasons?
    I think we'd all be interested to know what does happen, though - please let us know.

3. They were an independent school previously and were working to the pay scales from then. I will keep you updated lol!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not in Manchester, by any chance...?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

***** H's . . . Or CGC in Bristol . . . or the Wirral . . .

There aren't that many to choose from!

WH is part of ULT, that has 14 or 15 academies and their own scales. BH in the Wirral is GDST.

6. Not in manchester, no.

7. Poor in what ways?

8. JeanL

JeanL New commenter

I was previously working at a state school on M6, now an academy has made me an offer at M1. I need the work, but is it legal for an academy to pay me so much less?