1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Pastoral Manager job - help!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lucyrs27, May 18, 2006.

1. Our school has recently posted an advert for Pastoral Managers, seems to be something like HOY but non-teaching and lots of admin. I applied and have been told I am shortlisted, am not qualified teacher but have been working as cover supervisor for two years now and would love this job. How on earth can I prepare for interview/convince them I'm good enough? Could be Y7, Y8 and 9 or Y10 and 11...help!

2. Our school has recently posted an advert for Pastoral Managers, seems to be something like HOY but non-teaching and lots of admin. I applied and have been told I am shortlisted, am not qualified teacher but have been working as cover supervisor for two years now and would love this job. How on earth can I prepare for interview/convince them I'm good enough? Could be Y7, Y8 and 9 or Y10 and 11...help!

3. Having been a Head of Year (with the whole workload) I know "strength of character and flexibility" are two very important qualities.

I believe Pastoral managers are now responsible for dealing with behaviour issues and following them up to allow HODs to teach and concentrate of achievement/learning etc. You need to convince the interviewers that you have the presence to go into classrooms to haul out those misbehaving, to call in their often abusive parents and interview them, and to follow up incidents arising from classroom disruption. The kids will have to respect you....

They'll be looking for someone who'd make a good classroom teacher, ironically, because you'll have to think on your feet and be strong enough to handle those being awkward, swearing, not co-operating etc. That, as well as all the paperwork which was once a HOYs remit will be your domain. Not only will you deal with the toughies...you'll also deal with the whiners, the layabouts, the tell tales, crying teenage girls who fret about everything, those bullied and the vandals. I hear from others it's a tough job without "teacher status", so the kids are wise to your having to consult others. You'll be called to awkward situations all over the school...as well as have dealines for your admin stuff. HODs and teachers can pass the buck and you'll have to sort it.

Convince the interviewing panel that you have this strength and determination, can multi-task without cracking, and have a liking of awkward cusses, and would relish the role. (I don't think many would, to be honest, but I am a cynical retired HOY. I got paid well to do it all.)

Good luck.

4. Many thanks for advice.

Yes, I do think I'm tough enough..have worked in Special Measures school doing unqualified teaching for a while, ran exclusion room etc. Hope so anyway. One more question - any ideas what kind of 'in-tray exercises' I will be asked to do at interview? and any tips on being interviewed by student council? (sorry, that's two).

5. h ow is exclusion room run?

6. Dear Arched Eye Brow, I have never laughed so much! When everyone asks me what I do, I will keep a copy of this page to slip out of my bag ( I only hope my detention slips, incident reports, tutor reminders, pay query etc don't fall out of my bag at the same time)! If only I'd read it before I accepted the job! Infact I want my job description updated as what you've highlighted is much more realistic to what I neatly filed away last year. If the kids get free fish oil for concentration surely we could be prescribed prozac!