1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New parents meeting Reception/Home Visits - advice please! :)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Emnemz, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Hello!

I currently teach Year 1 but am moving to Reception in September. I am holding a meeting for new parents to Reception and am looking for a PPT that is up to date so I can get some ideas for my meeting - lots of the ones I've found already are for the old framework.

At this meeting we are also asking the parents when they want their home visit - has anyone got any ideas for what I should be doing/taking/giving the parents/child when I go to their house?

I've asked the current Reception teacher but she seems a bit occupied at the moment so I thought I'd look for some support here! :)
    Thanks!

2. parents should visit their home when the vacation of their wards are going on so as not to disturb them in their studies.

3. We wanted to start home visits this year, but our governing body won't allow it for health and safety reasons - especially as unions won't back them either.

4. I literally have no idea what this means??

5. Hi

I do home visits for the new children in my class. I don't take anything with me (apart from my TA). I have a basic form which I fill in - things like what they like doing, pre-school experience and any additional needs the child has. My TA usually chats to the child while I talk to the parent. I only stay about 15 minutes but the children do really like it and refer back to their home visit all year.
    On your other point I have to do a reception meeting myself for the first time this year so if you find any useful hints I would appreciate them to!
    Jill

6. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

I usually take along a large gift bag which is nice and bright, inside i have a favourite book (usully lift the flap like Spot) some bobbins or similar for threading, an animal jigsaw which actually makes the noises of the animals which they love and often some zoo or farm animals. Remember to also take some stickers as rewards - previously we have taken a.book of photographs showing the sorts of activities we do in school.
    Just to say we do home visits for nursery but not reception - most of them are with us for two years anyway. At our meeting we emphasised how valuable home visits are and the fact that a year later the children can still remember when we came to their house.

7. That's a good idea! I shall have to whip one up asap! Thank you!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

being careful not to judge.

9. Hi
    I created a ppt using various ones that I found from the net and adapting them to suit my school. Obviously it would need adapting but I'm more than happy to send it to you if you think it would help?

10. good luck with your home visits - they're my favourite part of the year. I'm really interested to find out why other people do them - why do people think they're important?
    Top tip: refuse cups of tea if you want to get back on time and without loads of loo stops