1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Ofsted visit

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by 7even, Jan 20, 2012.

1. 7even

7even New commenter

Two local schools in my area had visits from Ofsted under new inspection framework. The HT's (both very experienced) said they were much harsher than previously, totally data-led, and weren't prepared to listen.
    Anyone else been visited this month? Please say these were out of the ordinary cases.

2. 7even

7even New commenter

Two local schools in my area had visits from Ofsted under new inspection framework. The HT's (both very experienced) said they were much harsher than previously, totally data-led, and weren't prepared to listen.
    Anyone else been visited this month? Please say these were out of the ordinary cases.

3. Have heard much the same. One school went from Good with outstanding elements into Special Measures on the basis of 1 year below floor targets.
    Seems inspectors are getting to grips with new schedule and are slavishly following the giudance and the dreaded flow chart for fear of "getting it wrong". Similar things happened in the autumn of 2009 when Section 5 inspections were introduced.

4. Yes, you're right they did. Lots of schools went into NtI due to very strict instructions to inspectors on requirements of the single central record. I heard the SCC helpline at Ofsted was jammed due to that many enquiries and a huge number of schools going into NtI as a result of minor administrative errors. I remember talking to some inspectors at the time who felt terrible about applying these directives, but that they had no choice. Predictably, two weeks later new guidance came out allowing for specific administrative errors.
    The supplementary guidance that is out at the moment has no such directives so I can't see that the same pattern of schools being placed in categories would occur. Actually there seems to be a lot more emphasis this time on inspectors using that magical 'professional judgement'. This framework, for the first time, mentions floor standards so I can see schools that are below on all 3 measures are likely to be placed in a category, which is something that didn't happen so often in the previous framework.

5. We had our Ofsted at the beginning of this term. Under the previous framework we considered ourselves to be outstanding. However, under the new framework we came out as good in all areas with outstanding for behaviour and safety. This did match our own evaluations.

Whilst we had a fair team, we did feel that the regime was much harsher. It was very data led and they didn't observe any lessons other than English and Maths. There were learning walks for other sessions. There was a lot more conversation with children too.
    We all felt very deflated after day 1. Even if we showed them examples of case studies for vulnerable children, they were sympathetic but weren't really interested. They were more concerned with percentage of Level 4s. There was lots of focus on upper key stage 2 - particularly Y6.
    Having said all that, we were very lucky to have a fair team who seemed to be on our side. Nevertheless, their work is restricted by the limits of the guidance in the framework.

6. Estyn (Wales) not OFSTED, but similar experience here. My daughter's school has gone from 1s across the board and outstanding, to adequate and they are to have a monitoring visit next year.
    Completely data driven. They don't score well compared to the County average, their family of schools or compared to schools with similar free school meals bands. They also don't maintain the % of children getting the expected grades between the key stages.
    Our DHT has been on inspection courses and heard that if your data isn't good, then no matter how good the teaching etc, they can't award you more than a satisfactory.

7. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Not all doom and gloom - had ours - good and good team. Had done thorough data investigation and PIB very detailed. We had used old SEF format as the course to re-write it is next month! They used SEF and checked our judgements and we had to justify everything we'd said and give examples for them to check out. Yes to the only really interested in maths and English but fair on behaviour and safety and lots of pupil discussion. Very little looking at class plans, books and assessments. Had the feeling that if we hadn't given them a) b) and c) then they would have started digging for d) e) f) if that makes sense.