1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Ofsted Inspection help please from anybody who has been through it

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Glitter5, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Hi, we are due an Ofsted any second now and I am in a complete state of panic. Our SMT keep on feeding us with various horror stories of what they have heard through a friend of a friend etc. I have been through 2 Ofsteds of the old style which were not too bad. However, I don't know what to expect now and it fills me with dread.
    Has anybody been through a new framework Ofsted, how many times were you observed? Did they go through all of your books and look at your planning files (not just the planning for the observed lesson), did they go through all of your reading records as well as the ones the children have? Did they listen to children read? Did they ask the children if their lessons are always like this? Etc etc.
    Please help - just need to know what to at least expect instead of hearing what people think is going to happen.

2. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

We got grilled on homophobic bullying too! I had all three of the inspectors grill me at different times! Seems to be the new thing.

Mind you the Lead said that once all inspectors had had their training on "radicalism" then inspections would also be asking what we do to prevent our children becoming extremists!

3. If they have said in the report that you have a homophobic problem, then you're in a category. The evaluation schedule under behaviour and safety is clear about this.
    The point is that under the new equalities act, LGBT issues are explicit and all schools have to get on board with it. It's not just another bolt-on. Homophobic name calling does go on in primary schools occasionally and has to be addressed.

4. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

The equalities act is meant to protect people who fall into one of nine categories from discriminatory treatment. While homophobic name-calling at primary level is categorically wrong (since it stereotypes LGBT individuals and suggests that there is something wrong) it can hardly be called 'discriminatory' for children who are not yet aware of their sexuality. It is very different, from e.g. racism, where a child can be discriminated against by the colour of their skin.

5. There is a massive difference between ignorance and homophobia. Children under 11 have no business being sexualised by well-meaning *** who make up these policies. One child who says "It's gay" because they have heard the expression being used outside school by older people, does not mean that the school has a homophobic problem. The children are too young and innocent to think in that way. I have worked in a secondary school where there was a homophobic problem - a school that was ofsted inspected 7 years ago. They didn't pick up on it. The same school had an obvious bullying problem and the children were openly disrespectful to staff. My point being that it all depends on ofsted's agenda. Schools have no business knowing whether their older pupils are gay, lesbian, bisexual and transsexual. Similarly, it is none of the school's business if the staff are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual. This is not equal opportunities. It's just daft.

6. sueemc

sueemc New commenter

we've also just been inspected. All teachers were observed at least once, and feedback offered/given (lessons graded) and lots of general observations - in the dinner hall, assemblies, playground, walking around school - the things that give the overall feel. There was much more focus on reading (as expected) and they observed children reading and the way they were being taught. Data really targetted and questioned about (to slt) but not to the exclusion of seeing teaching/learning.

Noone went through my planning folder or any other folders, but they were available had they wanted to. We had to provide all work for 2 pupils in each class (which made it a bit awkward in the obs.not having their books, but not catastrophically so). There really isnt time for them to go through all the books, talk to every child etc. when they want to observe everyone.

7. Wow.... not heard of that one before. Anybody else experienced this?

8. tdnorth

tdnorth New commenter

Yep...this week....work in a good school...loads of good teaching and learning...strong commited staff team....20 minutes in and out of some lessons...only wanted to see the odd lesson plan/book/student...but had that kind of meeting and it was weird and unsettling. No opportunity for feeedback from obs as he was continually 'too busy'...aka 'not in the slightest bit interested'. It was all about data data data.... HT not 'allowed' to tell us much and have to wait for a while until his recommendation moderated and then we will be told. This is 4th one I've experienced...not really ever pleasant...but we mostly don't ever mind being accountable...but it would help if it really was about good practice in teaching and learning/well being of students....not about being holed up in a room staring at tick lists....not impressed...not at all.

9. This seems fairly typical, but a lot of lessons observed in schools seem to be 25-30 minutes after which feedback is offered. Reports though are saying a lot of lessons 'or part lessons' having been observed and they are generally a lot higher in proportion than in the last framework.
    Not surprised at inspectors not being particularly interested in looking at planning. It's clear that this has not been a focus for some time. I am surprised though that they only wanted to see the odd student or book. People on this thread and elsewhere describe many informal discussions with students and inspectors choosing students to see from lists provided by the HT.
    This is odd. 'Conducting the inspection' states that inspectors must be proactive in offering feedback. What this means in practice is that any lessons of 25 mins or more should be offered feedback and this would have been arranged with the HT on the day before the inspection. The normal arrangement is for teachers to go to the base room at a set time for feedback if they want it. Where it is very well organised, teachers are given a card by the observer to tell them where and when to go for feedback and who observed them.
    Actually, this is your headteacher's decision, not the inspector's. What the inspector would have said to the headteacher in final feedback is that the judgements are subject to moderation and to keep the provisional judgements confidential to the school (i.e. keep it within the school gates). There's no way the inspector would have told the HT not to tell the staff. However, I've heard of a lot of HT's who have taken it upon themselves not to tell the staff in case they tell all n' sundry.
    This framework is all about being in the classroom. The paperwork bit has been reduced an awful lot actually. As far as I can tell, inspectors are rarely in their base room under this framework since they have to spend so much time in the classroom

10. In ours, feedback was offered (including teaching assistants) - the onus was then put on staff to be proactive and seek a free moment. All did so and the feedback was given in a professional and constructive way.

11. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

This cannot possibly have been calendared and thus I don't think I'd be obliged to attend.

12. The meeting was held on a day and at a time that all staff would usually have been in a staff meeting and we were given notice of it in the schedule that was agreed at the time of the pre-inspection briefing on the Friday before the inspection so I think it would be reasonable to expect staff to be there.