1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New OFSTED framework - Early years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rotringdrawing, Jun 7, 2019.

1. rotringdrawing

rotringdrawing New commenter

Hello,
    I'm about to start my new SIP for Early Years, using the new OFSTED framework for Early years. I read through the main gov.uk document for the new OFSTED framework 2019, which then refers you onto the 45 page Early years Inspection Handbook for the early years section, with its statements about outstanding, good, etc.
    Is this 45 page inspection handbook the correct place to use for implementing your school improvement plan for Early Years, or is there a brief version somewhere else?
    Many thanks indeed

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would have thought the best place to look for starting to write the SIP is the current provision and the best people to consult would be the current staff.

What does your setting do well? What needs to be improved? How can it be improved? What is the general philosophy of the setting and how well do the early years groups fit into that?

Once you have done all of that, then look at the handbook for the statements for the grade you hope to achieve to get some fancypants wording for the improvements you have already identified.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'd look at this version but agree with ctb to discuss your strengths as a team. The grade descriptors give you are guide, especially as they are new. Also remember that inspecting safeguarding as well for the SG and welfare part.