1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Ofsted definition of a 'coasting' Primary school

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by nomad, Aug 11, 2015.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The government has provided draft regulations to the commons bill committee that set out how, subject to the passage of the Education and Adoption Bill, a primary school will be defined as coasting in 2016.

A school will be coasting if:

• and[/b][/i];
    • in 2016 fewer than 85 per cent of pupils achieve the new expected standard across these subjects and they do not make sufficient progress.
    all three of the years 2014, 2015 and 2016.

As the coasting definition will maintain the aspiration for 85 per cent of pupils to reach the new expected standard, ministers have consequently decided that the attainment part of the primary floor standard will be set at 65 per cent in 2016 to differentiate the one-year floor standard and the three-year coasting definition.

www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/fs_14/index.html[/URL].

2. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

How can they backdate a target and change it from 65 to 85 for 2014 & 2015? So this year's floor target was 65% but for coasting will now be 85% but next year's will be 65% or have I had too much sunshine?

3. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Read the link and it says 65% for all three years - I think,.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Definition of coasting primary schools?

Academy = not coasting

LA = Coasting

mumbobumbo likes this.
  5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

So, when a school converts to an academy, suddenly the coasting stops. Simple, just like the politicians. .

mumbobumbo likes this.