1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Ofsted Criteria - Who carries the reponsibilty?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by pippin35, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Just wondered how other schools are dealing with the new requirement for "reading, writing and communication and Maths" across the curriculum.
    Is it the responsibility of every teacher in every subject to include it? Is it the responsibility of the Head of English/Maths to ensure it is included? Is it the responsibility of the English/Maths teacher of individual students to ensure teachers of other subjects further their work?
    If it is a responsibility added to a colleagues work load (classroom teacher or HOD) does it constitute a change of terms and conditions?
    Basically - Who is shouldering the burden of ensuring this is done across the curriculum and who is responsible if it is not?
    Sooo confused!

2. As far as Ofsted are concerned, the short answer to your question is - the Head.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Why do people persist in coming up with blanket rules to apply to all subjects? Half a page of A4 every 15 lessons sounds rather little for something like history. Can you trade quotas?

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Does anyone else who was around when National Curriculum (in all its many-foldered glory) first came in and it was swiftly followed by the 5 cross-curricular 'themes' that the then Tory government insisted had to be covered in all subjects?
    These eventually died a pathetic death, but it looks like the Tories can't get enough of the olden days.

5. I wasn't around for that but remember the days of whole school (secondary) Literacy and Numeracy Coordinators who we could turn to for advice and support. My school dropped these roles when TLR's were introduced. I now feel uncomfortable adding to the workload of existing Maths teachers by asking for guidance and input. As an English teacher I would also feel under pressure to help if a colleague came to me for Reading Writing and Communication support in their subject.
    I understand that Maths and English are important skills to develop within a child but feel it is yet another thing heaped on teachers of those subjects unfairly. The "Octopus Husbandry" teacher isn't asked to provide support and training for colleagues to include aspects of their subject across the curriculum.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ssshhh! Don't give that oaf Gove ideas.

7. You mean you don't think that Octopus Husbandry is an essential part of a childs education? How could the E Bacc be complete without it??