1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new OCR Nationals unit 1 - advice please

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by djphillips1408, Aug 22, 2011.

1. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

OK I am starting this course this September and just after a few bits of advice from people who have it already up and running. I will be throwing this one back up to the top with new questions quite regulalry too!!!
    OK AO1 first, whilst I have no problem with lots of issues for kids to research regarding Health concerns - RSI, eyestrain, backstrain etc... I am at a bit of a loss with issues that relate to "physical safety" - I can't really think of anything that is a genuine physical threat - anyone able to give any pointers as to what they have run with?
    I can clearly see that AO3 requires you to do a presnetation about how to email, but just wondered if anyone reuses the AO1 health and safety stuff in say the AO4 newsletter or do you just do it as a standalone "essay"

2. djphillips1408

OK I am starting this course this September and just after a few bits of advice from people who have it already up and running. I will be throwing this one back up to the top with new questions quite regulalry too!!!
    OK AO1 first, whilst I have no problem with lots of issues for kids to research regarding Health concerns - RSI, eyestrain, backstrain etc... I am at a bit of a loss with issues that relate to "physical safety" - I can't really think of anything that is a genuine physical threat - anyone able to give any pointers as to what they have run with?
    I can clearly see that AO3 requires you to do a presnetation about how to email, but just wondered if anyone reuses the AO1 health and safety stuff in say the AO4 newsletter or do you just do it as a standalone "essay"

3. <font size="3" face="Arial">This is what it says in the Specification:
    Measures to protect physical safety eg:
    </font><font size="3" face="Symbol">&middot;
    AO3 doesn&rsquo;t *have* to be about email but it is sensible to double up the AOs where you can. This year we did AO1 as a stand-alone but next year we are going to combine it with AO3 (presentation about Health Risks) and AO4 (Leaflet about Safety Risks). The other bits will be done as standalone.

</font>

4. No idea what happened there!?!
    The spec says:

&middot; AO3 doesn&rsquo;t *have* to be about email but it is sensible to double up the AOs where you can. This year we did AO1 as a stand-alone but next year we are going to combine it with AO3 (presentation about Health Risks) and AO4 (Leaflet about Safety Risks)

5. djphillips1408

Thanks very much for that it is appreciated and has helped me knock up quite a bit of material for my vle in the last 48 hours.
    I can see the rationalle behind doubling up health and safety with the publisher stuff in AO4 but wonder if kids might find that a bit dull to create a newsletter on. I am thinking of doing the newsletter on a guide to Paris, sightseeing top tips, fixtures for rugby/football teams, trendyplaces to eat on the cheap in the area etc... which brings me on to my next question. What sort of things do you do to evidence the boolean searching in AO2, I was thinking of combining this Paris idea with the material for the newsletter but struggling to see the purpose of say the OR or - (NOT) search things that I have never used myself, any tips that you guys have found work for this would be fabulous...

6. cj3

cj3

7. djphillips1408

I don't want to buy anything in as I am in the process of making my own, just trying to get my head around the smart and interesting way of doing things. I'll stick with the French trip as I will make the resources available when I am done with it all and I guess more places will be doing the french trip rather than any other specific scenario.

8. djphillips1408

When it comes to AO4 - I am leaning towards a newsletter (which I will run as a things to do in Paris type exercise), it is also clear that you need to include the health and safety stuff in something here too - my gut says some sort of A3 poster as a wall display, along with the compulsory mail merge to all students which I would imagine could be done as a meet here at this time and make sure that you have your passport, the new medical card thing that replaced the e111 (I think) - you know instructions to students prior to the trip outset.
    Does that sound about right?

9. Are you sure that Nationals students can cope with making a newsletter? Bit advanced for them, isn't it?

10. Having done this successfully last year with 168 students, I am going to tweak it a bit and do the following:
    Start with AO2 user guide on how to use email.
    Then AO2 research on a student trip to Paris (could give different students different cities to reduce the risk of copying). Screenshot evidence of searches done, and the other bits needed for this AO.
    This feeds into AO5 - basic spreadsheet on modelling the trip costs and then changing some variables (eg number of adults or students).
    Then AO1 - use ppt to document various safe working practices. I completely overdid this last year so will make it much more concise this time. No need to show how to set passwords for example, just explain why they are useful. What nearly caught me out however was not getting students to provide business examples for each point they made eg what sort of work environment would require passwords to be set and why. For this AO ppt is just being used to convey information so the formatting and slideshow features are not important.
    Then AO3 - take a subset of AO1 slides (eg health and safety) and convert it into a "professional" slide show.
    Then AO4 - I nearly got into trouble here by doing a business card, which I was told was too easy for the higher grades. This time I will do the letter+mailmerge to do with the trip, a report on the danger of viruses (building on what they did for AO1) and a brochure to advertise the Paris trip to next years student's. My moderator really wants a newsletter by I am trying to resist this.
    Finally AO6 - use the exemplar database to do some simple queries/reports relating to the trip.
    It's a bit of a scramble getting it all done on 1 hr a week in time for moderation, but I managed last year and I think I can do it quicker this time.

11. I have tried to keep the AO's seperate with my students just because I have found over the past few years on the new and old spec that students find it easier to work on one AO at a time.
    I do get them to use the AO2 research in AO3 but at two different points in the year, so they just refered back to the research. We present projects in AO order with dividers between each AO so it has just easier to keep them more seperate....Im also in the great position that even the lower ability kids are fairly motivated with the work and that we have two hours a week for one year to complete unit 1.
    I do find it interesting that in the above post it says 'I nearly got into trouble here by doing a business card, which I was told was too easy for the higher grades' as technically yes it could be argued that it is too easy but its on the specification as a document to create and as long as students have designed and created it not using a template and fulfied the other AO4 distinction criteria then I would argue that you could not be downgraded for the choice of business document created.