1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Nursery Parent Meeting

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by vancie, May 19, 2012.

1. Has anyone held meeting yet to explain new EYFS to new parents. I was going to do a leaflet to put in children's induction pack for parents who can not attend. Any help would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. Has anyone held meeting yet to explain new EYFS to new parents. I was going to do a leaflet to put in children's induction pack for parents who can not attend. Any help would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

3. I'd be interested in responses to this too. Am just in the process of preparing materials for our induction meeting for the parents.

4. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

I'll be doing this tomorrow! [​IMG] First new parents meeting I'll be ever doing as well! (am an NQT) This is what I've put in my 'script':
    . The new Early Years Framework will be in place from September; this will not change the high quality practice we have in nursery but it is slightly different in terms of areas of learning if you’ve had children in nursery or reception before.

There will be 7 areas of learning; 3 of which are ‘prime’ areas seen as vital for children to develop skills for learning; these are-
    Communication and language- Speaking and listening; having conversations whilst playing with adults and other children; developing understanding of spoken word; for example by following instructions Physical development- Outside play- bikes, scooters, trucks, climbing frame, balls, beanbags, parachute games, using Fitness trail, dance in hall. Manipulative skills- holding a pencil/paintbrush, threading beads, cutting out, using play dough, etc. Personal, social and emotional development- Independence, sharing, taking turns, working together, making relationships, learning about our own and others cultures The other 4 areas are ones where children can apply the skills they develop through the prime areas these are- Literacy- Sharing books, singing rhymes and songs to develop awareness of rhyme, and writing and pre-writing where children draw and scribble in imitation of writing. Later on in the year they will also start to learn some of the letter sounds that will help them to learn to read. Mathematics- counting, number recognition, sorting, matching, making sets, ordering, shape, weighing, capacity , measuring etc. Knowledge and Understanding- Includes finding about the world and people around them , ICT, science based activities like cooking and exploring what happens when ice melts. Expressive Arts and Design- Includes painting, music, singing, dancing, building with construction toys, exploring using the senses by touching, tasting and smelling.
    Any suggestions on how to improve this would be greatly appreciated though!

5. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Sorry; paragraphs disappeared and don't know how to put them in!

6. Thank you, cant think of anything else,good luck for tomorrow