1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'New Normal'

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, May 6, 2020.

1. PippaPeel

PippaPeel New commenter

I'm sure you're right, I'm just not as enthusiastic about remote tutoring as you and others are.

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I'm certainly not enthusiastic about it either and I hope it will be possible to return to face to face tuition as soon as possible. However realistically I fear this could still be quite some months away.

3. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I am starting face to face next month. Considering teaching in the garden. I believe this is allowed. Just hope it doesn't rain.

CloudsTES likes this.
  4. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I heard cleaners and nannies are allowed to go to work in other people’s homes. So I think that’s comparable to a tutor visiting.

I’m sticking to online for now, I have lost some students but have kept about 60%. I had a new enquiry last week and the request was for face to face tutoring with social distancing. I’m holding off for now. I may stay online for those it works well for but start to do some in person in a few weeks.

I’m saving travel cost & time. Pleasantly surprised with how well some online lessons have gone but look forward to getting back to face to face ....some day.

5. ladyofrohan

ladyofrohan New commenter

I'm probably going to keep online until September but may consider face to face if things change in the meantime. I prefer face to face and preparing resources for online is taking quite a lot of time but it's going better than I expected.

suzette likes this.
  6. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

I agree. There are so many anomalies and things to go wrong with online tutoring. I prefer face to face as it's fantastic 'seeing' my tutees in person. I also became a bit of a 'sound board' for the older/teens. They felt they could talk to me about their woes & I kinda became an unofficial social worker to some of them! I'm happy doing online tutoring, but, it's really difficult to 'read' students online, so you're never quite sure that they're 'getting' what you're saying; or the work you give them. Not sure when I'll go back to face to face though.

7. Abdullah15555

Abdullah15555 New commenter

To all tutors here, I highly recommend putting yourself up on Craigslist. In the height of Coronavirus, I created a profile there, and I received an enquiry on the same day that I made the profile! The same day! Since then, I’ve been getting an enquiry from there at least once a week. Check it out!