1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'New Normal'

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, May 6, 2020.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hi guys,
    With more talk about social distancing measures lasting years when will you be restarting face-to-face tuition?
    I am thinking of emailing my parents and saying I would recommend continuing with online tuition until all social distancing measures are released, but they can request a date to start face-to-face tuition again and I will consider it.
    I am expecting the issue to start when schools reopen as some parents will think it's business as usual. I wonder what will happen to after school activities like brownies, dancing, acting, football, swimming e.c.t.

2. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I’m planning on continuing online lessons for as long as possible. I wouldn’t even consider going back to face-to-face lessons until schools, and indeed society, are back to normal.

3. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

I think, as soon as schools start going back/ when social distancing gets relaxed to an extent to which I feel that it would be 'acceptable', I will get back to face-to-face, as soon as possible. I just want to feel like I'm earning again. I plan to keep to strict social distancing (not sure whether this will still be 2m?) measures, in face-to-face contexts; if schools go back, and offices go back, I will go back.

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

It is hard to see how it would be possible to maintain any sort of social distancing with face to face tuition. I think we may have to continue online for quite some time.

Cancelling exams has been the real problem as most of my year 10 and year 12 have continued online but I lost all year 11 and year 13 except one.

doctoryes likes this.
  5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I think it will be hard to keep 2 m from students and online tuition is better than trying to teach whilst keeping 2 m away.

It seems like alot of teachers who have done supply before have started tutoring. I have only had 3 new students start with me over lockdown and 4 year 11s stay on but 2 are finishing very soon.

I think when the year 10s go back a lot of parents will want extra tuition. I would rather not have lots of year 11s next year.

6. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

I'll be staying online for as long as possible as well. If parents don't like it they will have to find someone else, but it's a risk I'm not prepared to take. I've just been to the supermarket where social distancing is being enforced, and that's when you're quickly whizzing by. To think of a child sitting a couple of feet away for the best part of an hour seems pretty risky to me

Happyregardless and doctoryes like this.
  7. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

A lot of my pupils would come into the vulnerable category as they have medical conditions themselves or someone else in their family does, so think it's unlikely that I would be able to resume face-to-face tuition soon.
    It is likely that there will be some sort of protection for teachers in schools within the classroom e.g. perspex screens by the teacher whiteboard, but this can't be done easily with private tuition where I end up sharing a desk and resources.
    Also I have often use public transport to travel to students which would also be high risk.
    Hopefully there will be guidelines for one-to-one scenarios soon that would be helpful for tutors.

8. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I can't see it happening till at least Sep. I think even if schools go back, it will be with social distancing guidelines and I can't see how you can socially distance while tutoring. I tutor 20 kids a week, and sitting close to each of then for an hour seems like a really bad idea until this virus is pretty much eradicated or there is a vaccine...
    Online tutoring is working well so I'm hoping parents are happy to do it online for the foreseeable.

9. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I have decided to offer face to face from next week since the gov said if you can’t work from home go back to work. I can’t tutor online and had been doing a drop off of work for 1 private client that has stayed with me throughout this. I was fully booked prior to virus.

I work for an agency tutoring vulnerable looked after students in the daytime but one major client I had there stopped with no notice due to circumstances beyond my control and it’s left me with very little money for my bills.

I now have 2 of my old clients back both going face to face. I will be able to observe the distance recommendations and using hand sanitizer etc.

10. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I'm hoping to hold off face to face until September but have told parents that if the schools go back fully I'll consider face to face (I'll be really surprised if that happens). I'm fully booked with online though so I don't feel the need to change what I'm offering. If I had lost all my clients as some tutors have then I might be returning to face to face sooner.

11. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

Even when schools are back I’m going to try and keep as many as possible with online lessons. It’s safer and cuts out all the travelling.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I can't tutor effectively online.

13. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

Out of interest which subject(s) do you tutor? I'm managing ok so far for Maths at both GCSE and A-level using Skype, an A4 whiteboard and emailing notes and exercises to the students in advance but I've found Chemistry a little awkward and I don't think I'm putting it across as well as I would face to face.

14. Kateray1

I’ve been delivering sessions by dropping off work then phoning students, with the carer there, afterwards.

it’s been hard I’ve been doing science and maths. I did manage to drop a germination experiment off and it worked well, the student involved younger siblings which was cute!
    Can’t wait to start back face to face!

15. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

@Kateray1
    Hand sanitiser? Surely if they're in your house they can wash their hands with soap and water.

16. Kateray1

I’m travelling to them I don’t have enough room to tutor at home.

17. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Fair enough but you could reasonably expect to wash your hands when you get there

18. Kateray1

I have every intention to and I will be sitting as far away as possible.

19. PippaPeel

PippaPeel New commenter

Considering that some year groups are returning to school from June 1st and childminders can also accept children into their homes now (providing it's one family at a time), I wonder if we will also be allowed to accept tutees into our homes from June 1st?

I'm struggling to understand how it can be allowed if we're still not allowed to invite family members into our homes. Has anyone seen any guidelines specific to home tuition?

I tutor English, mostly grammar school prep., and have found I'm doing twice as much work for my usual hourly fee. Tutees drop off and collect work and we also spend approx 15 mins. on the phone. I can't wait to return to F2F!

20. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I don't think there are any guidelines about home tuition, I doubt if it is something the government has considered. I don't think it would be possible whilst we are not allowed to visit family members at home.

When children return to school I think the risk might actually be greater. If they've been staying at home and following the rules, the chances of infection would be very small.

I also hope to be able to return to face to face, but at least I now know that online is possible and I could tutor children who live too far away to travel.

PippaPeel likes this.