1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New National Curriculum

Discussion in 'History' started by dasboy, Feb 7, 2013.

1. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Thank you tafkam, and the proposals will mean even less time with the increased content and a foreign language, which as a y6 teacher i will eventually be teaching children who have studied for 3 years and I'm not sure my o level in french is really up to it (yes i am that old!)

2. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

I know my O level French wouldn't be up to it. I've had no cause to speak French (and haven't spoken it) since I was 16 .......... and I'm a LOT older than that now.

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I spent a day in a primary school in the late 1990s (all my secondary school did on an INSET day); observed the HT 'teaching' French - which I speak a bit - as part of a local initiative to introduce it in primary schools then...
    Made me laugh (would have made a French person cry...)

4. Earl Davids wife

I know .....................
    Other countries put us to shame [​IMG]
    Sorry to go off topic as I feel very strongly about this new draft and about the history section in particular. I'd like to know why 'so many' head teachers are trying to implement it this year ............

5. AdmiralNelson

Are they? Consultation hasn't finished yet, so that might be a big mistake!

6. Earl Davids wife

I'm mainly going by the posts on Primary!

Jumping on the bandwagon ....................

7. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

Otherwise they face implementing it all, years 1-6 simultaneously in Sept 2014 along with every other subject's changes. The most obvious objection to these proposals is that they are utterly unworkable. The resources don't exist. The textbooks don't exist. The time to create the resources simply is not there. If teachers want to strike the issue should not be pay, or pensions, important though these are, it is these ridiculous, lunatic proposals from the Education Secretary. In every field of endeavour, from government to the health service, all systems have to be evidence-based. What they do, and why they do it has to be subjected to academic scrutiny - is it the best way? Could better value-for-money be obtained by doing it this way? What makes Gove so bloody different that he can trot out these proposals not only without consulting education experts, but by downright contradicting their findings about what works, built up over many years?

8. AdmiralNelson

No point in starting to implement something that, this government's past history suggests, will be changed at least once...

Personally I'd advise doing nothing until:
    a) time is provided for planning; and
    b) money is available to pruchase new resources; and
    c) those resources are available...

What can they do - sack everyone?

9. Precisely. What if everybody point blank refused to implement the new curriculum?
    I'm thinking that at KS3, If pushed we can cover some of the same topics that we usually cover in depth in Y9 as long as we cover them in chronological order. Homework can become reading and learning the vast chunks of information that comes inbetween the topics we actually have time to do justice with, ready for the monthly history ''pub quiz'. I think that should suit Michael Gove's purposes very nicely.
    I wish this post was a joke but it's actually probably the only feasible way to teach the new curriculum!

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

How will you ensure that they know it all by the end of the Key Stage, zugthebug, if you've just "covered it in overview"? After all, that is the requirement of the Attainment Target

11. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Am just quoting from my lovely DFE form letter, apparently KS2 are preparing students for in depth study at KS3, quite like the overview approach, that way we can pick the interesting bits that will appeal to the appropriate years groups for the details

12. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

But that doesn't answer the question of how you will meet the Attainment Target! This is the problem of such an ill-thought-through proposal.

13. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Unfortunately the lovely letter from the DFE doesnt actually answer any of the questions we have all been asking. Lets hope the consultation is listened to, last i heard over 5000 replies and still two weeks to go. Fingers crossed

14. Working in an academy and speaking to the assistant head, we have already muted ideas that we wouldn't follow it completely but only select key topics that would suit our students. However hoping that there will be a U turn on this.

15. hec

hec

Agree - have you posted this on the Historical Association Website forum - the HA wants as many comments as possible for its submission to the consultation. Also - the HA is currently running a survery for Primary Teachers to feedback on the new proposals
    www.history.org.uk

16. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Of course one can decide how to teach, but you have to note the Attainment Targets proposed:
    By the end of each key stage, pupils are expected to know, apply and understand the matters, skills and processes specified in the relevant programme of study.
    <u>For KS1 this is to be</u>:
    Pupils should be taught about simple vocabulary relating to the passing of time such as &lsquo;before&rsquo;, &lsquo;after&rsquo;, &lsquo;past&rsquo;,&lsquo;present&rsquo;, &lsquo;then&rsquo; and &lsquo;now&rsquo; the concept of nation and of a nation&rsquo;s history concepts such as civilisation, monarchy, parliament, democracy, and war and peace that are essential to understanding history the lives of significant individuals in Britain's past who have contributed to our nation's achievements &ndash;
    scientists such as Isaac Newton or Michael Faraday, reformers such as Elizabeth Fry or William Wilberforce, medical pioneers such as William Harvey or Florence Nightingale, or creative geniuses such as Isambard Kingdom Brunel or Christina Rossetti key events in the past that are significant nationally and globally, particularly those that coincide with festivals or other events that are commemorated throughout the year significant historical events, people and places in their own locality.
    <u>For KS2 this is to be:</u>

Pupils should be taught about the ancient civilisations of Greece and Rome. In addition, across Key Stages 2 and 3, pupils should be taught the essential chronology of Britain&rsquo;s history. This will serve as an essential frame of reference for more in - depth study. Pupils should be made aware that history takes many forms, including cultural, economic, military, political, religious and social history. Pupils should be taught about key dates, events and significant individuals. They should also be given the opportunity to study local history. Pupils should be taught the following chronology of British history sequentially: early Britons and settlers, including: the Stone, Bronze and Iron Ages Celtic culture and patterns of settlement Roman conquest and rule including: Caesar, Augustus, and Claudius Britain as part of the Roman Empire the decline and fall of the Western Roman Empire Anglo-Saxon and Viking settlement, including: the Heptarchy, the spread of Christianity, key developments in the reigns of Alfred, Athelstan, *** and Edward the Confessor, the Norman Conquest and Norman rule, including: the Domesday Book, feudalism, Norman culture, the Crusades, Plantagenet rule in the 12th and 13th centuries, including:key developments in the reign of Henry II, including the murder of Thomas Becket, Magna Carta, de Montfort's Parliament, relations between England, Wales, Scotland and France, including: William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, Llywelyn and Dafydd ap Gruffydd, the Hundred Years War, Life in 14th century England, including: chivalry, the Black Death, the Peasants&rsquo; Revolt, the later Middle Ages and the early modern period including: Chaucer and the revival of learning, Wycliffe&rsquo;s Bible, Caxton and the introduction of the printing press, the Wars of the Roses, Warwick the Kingmaker, the Tudor period, including religious strife and Reformation in the reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI, and Mary,Elizabeth I's reign and English expansion including: colonisation of the New World ,plantation of Ireland,conflict with Spain, the Renaissance in England, including the lives and works of individuals such as Shakespeare and Marlowe, the Stuart period including: the Union of the Crowns, King versus Parliament, Cromwell's commonwealth, the Levellers and the Diggers, the restoration of the monarch, the Great Plague and the Great Fire of London, Samuel Pepys and the establishment of the Royal Navy, ?he Glorious Revolution, constitutional monarchy and the Union of the Parliaments,

Now, after 30+ years of teaching History I'm pretty certain that this amount of content will take a bit more than a 'dance' or time travel adventure' to teach, especially if pupils are expected to know, apply and understand the content...

17. "especially if they are to know apply and understand!!!" ............. Showing your age there, you just don't get it do you?........the time travel adventure HELPS THEM UNDERSTAND BETTER, HELPS THEM REMEMBER MORE.........
    "more than just a dance is needed"........ I knew everyone who was complaining about there being no creative elements were the teachers who needed their creative methods spoon fed to them in a curriculum (which don't forget is there to tell us what to teach, not how).........
    Right, well you just keep teaching how you have for the past 30 years (well done), and I'll keep giving my kids experiential learning that they'll remember and enjoy. I had to teach about Blackbeard this year and I staged a break in into the class and pretended it was a pirate (feathers left lying around, and earrings, and one footprint etc) we got the police to come in and dust for prints, then they asked us to research this scoundrel to help find him. Kids bought it a treat and we got a dialogue going with Blackbeard through tea stained letters and maps. Ended up with us fininding our stuff buried in the school field. Now it didn't say anything about That in the current curriculum.....get my drift?

You haven't answered my original point either way.

Plus the curriculum for history says only some of that needs covered in depth.

18. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Shouting doesn't impress me much - makes me suspect you know s*d all about how to implement this, and are just a pro-Gove troll...
    Grow up...many of us who complain about these proposals have honed our pedagogical skills on several earlier versions of the NC, humanising them and making them work so that History is, as OfSTED has said, a very well taught subject.
    Funnily enough, over 30 years, I've seen the wheel turn full circle...more than once probably.
    Finished blowing your trumpet? May have been a good lesson (but I seldom trust what a teacher says about how successful he/she is...) but fancy doing this for all the topics here?
    Funnily enough Blackbeard isn't on the NC, and I'm not sure Mr Gove would approve of that choice of topic...
    Not Mr Gove's proposals. I suggest you read it before you comment again...

19. Wow, you insulted me and failed to answer any of my points. This would never do under the new public speaking and debate strand of the English curriculum.

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve by suggesting you need your creative teaching methods spoonfed to you. I'm also sorry if I've made you feel a bit old with my descriptions of my methods. I do that kind of thing all day every day in every lesson and trust me, as ofsted says, it's outstanding. I guess I've just got more energy, enthusiasm, and positivity than some teachers. You keep teaching your way and I'll keep teaching mine. I'm very happy about that and you seem rather frustrated and angry.

Let's just agree to be different. I would honestly rather hear from someone else who could discuss this curriculum with me without having to argue, belittle, or project insecurities.

20. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

heh heh