1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New National Curriculum

Discussion in 'History' started by dasboy, Feb 7, 2013.

1. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

You haven't really understood the context of our complaints have you? Are you really a history teacher, or merely a troll?

2. It was only the second post after some moderate questioning of the prevailing view on the thread and I am called a troll!
    Of course I am a history teacher, with 17 years experience. When I was newly trained and for many years afterwards I would have been leading the anti-Gove charge. The alteration in my views comes after teaching lots of kids and much reflection and reading about the issues, leading to a slow realisation that I had many assumptions from my training that I had not really questioned and now I felt were very questionable. It is because I do now understand the context that I changed my views (I did post much further back on this thread.) Back to the much more limited point I made just now, there are a few bits on the KS2 content list that are too challenging and I don't think should be there but just because you disagree with the reforms on principle that is no reason to suggest whole swathes of history are difficult / boring / impossible to teach. Unfamiliar, certainly, but that is different.

3. AdmiralNelson

Again, you just don't get it do you...

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

5. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

I would like some advice please. IF the curriculum stands then in 2014 September as a Y6 teacher, what do i teach? The end 500 years which will probably be assigned to me as it has to be taught in chronological order? This means that the children starting secondary school in 2015 will have no knowledge of stone age man to tudors. My Y1 colleagues currently teach the great fire of london and samuel pepys diary. Will i be faced for the next 5 years explaining to children that yes i know they 'did this in the infants' but we are going to do it differently? Do we roll out the 1700 years of history including the ancient greeks and a local study over the next four years with the younger year groups dropping off each year? Taught chronologically but the next 4 cohorts going to secondary school still wont have all the knowledge the government require. What ever happens next academic year i WILL be teaching ancient egypt and victorians to my class, if it is for the last time then we will go out with a bang!

6. Morninglover

I suspect, very strongly, that it won't...We'll all prevaricate and wait for inevitable U turn...
    You've put your finger on something that Gove, a mere journalist, after all, hasn't understood - changes need to be phased in over time...
    Personally I'd stick to doing what you do now, but use the argument for making a case for more time for History within the curriculum. And, as a secondary teacher, I'd support that.

7. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

What would you like me to spend less time on?

8. Morninglover

Maths, personally - doesn't need an hour a day (if you still do that); but you have a better idea as to whre time is wasted - and I'm sure it is ...

9. Everyone who opposes Gove's new history curriculum, whether on the basis of its nationalist bias; its unworkability; its disregard for expert opinion including teachers' views; its insularity or for any other reason: please sign the e-petition against it at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46338 . Also, please visit the website historynotpropaganda.weebly.com and pass links to it to whoever might be interested. If you use Twitter: https://twitter.com/UnbiasedHistory.

History teachers must act now to defeat this.

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

There are schools still only doing a single hour of maths each day!? [​IMG]

11. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

As soon as we are not judged on a reading test, mental maths test and 2 maths papers sat during a week in May, i will gladly spend more time on the other subjects. Am lucky this year other things havent been squeezed out for extra SPaG, if the gov start judging schools on that, then i will have to spend a disproportional amount of time on that too, squeezing the rest of the curriculum and history will be a trip down a few hundred years on a wet afternoon.

12. Morninglover

Ahh well, probably out of date...

13. Morninglover

So we should demand that Gove institutes a test at KS2 on History - maybe with ritual floggings or burnings (or at least public humiliation!) for those schools who don't so well? Be careful if you imply that you only teach to the test...

14. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

Be careful what you wish for!

15. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

Thanks for posting that - definitely the best demolition of the Gove Proposals I've read so far, and I agreed with pretty well every word that David Cannadine wrote. History teachers should note in particular thecontrast between the preamble to the NC Proposals, which is excellent, in accord with expert opinion, and seems to be the product of - shock, horror, wait for it CONSULTATION - and the rest which appears to be the work of M.Gove Esq AND NO ONE ELSE. Cannadine's hatchet job on the proposed content of the curriculum is thorough and reflects the opinions of experts such as the Historical Association.

16. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Dear Folkfan, for maths and english i indeed teach to the test since the test covers the curriculum for these subjects. In the same way i teach to the national curriculum for all the subjects that do not have statutory tests. Sorry to burst your bubble that that is life in many primary schools

17. tafkam

Woah there... surely you don't really believe that, zugthebug?

18. AdmiralNelson

Glad I - or my children - didn't go to your school....sounds really dull...
    That doesn't seem to make sense...
    I read this as you saying 'sorry, gov, just following orders...' - how sad...(for you & your pupils)

19. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Sorry, i obviously didnt make myself clear. I teach the national curriculum requirements for all ten subjects and the agreed syllabus for RE. These are the requirements i must teach by law, it is the statutory curriculum and as such is the content that is tested at the end of key stage test week in may (is anyone suggesting that the test content comes from somewhere other than the national curriculum? Dont we all teach to the test since that is what we are expecting as the content? ) I didn't say it was all i teach, or how i teach and ensure my class have access to a rich and varied diet of learning. Am a little taken aback that it is assumed my practice must therefore be extremely dull and you should pity the children in my class, who last year helped a local charity gain heritage lottery funding by writing and directing a documentary and presenting their work, including a plan for the future of the site, to a group of local businesses and ambassadors from the lottery fund. Very dull! What i was trying to explain albeit ineptly was the suggestion that in order to 'fit' the requirements of the proposed curriculum into an already overburdened and heavily prescribed national curriculum, for many primary schools, reducing the amount of time given to a core subject such as maths would be unrealistic. We are judged ( and i do not agree with the practice) solely on our results for reading, writing and maths and now grammar testing too. We are threatened with forced academies if our results drop below a target and have ofsted expecting a year on year rise. I have no argument with the importance of the all the other subjects in the curriculum and my class do not forgo art and history and music during the spring term for extra test practice (something other schools do because they feel they have to). I will refrain from making further comments as i dont want to cause any more outrage

20. tafkam

I'd just like it noted that I don't think for a second that you are doing your children any sort of disservice, zugthebug. But I suspect you recognise, as I do, that there is much more to the National Curriculum (at the moment!) than that which is covered by the tests. I bet you do plenty of drama, speaking & listening, problem-solving, etc. which is part of the NC, but isn't tested. But of course, to fit all that in, and all the stuff that is tested, there's even less time for everything else!