1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New National Curriculum

Discussion in 'History' started by dasboy, Feb 7, 2013.

1. I couldn't believe it when I read the proposed national curriculum- It was as bad as I imagined! I find the history curriculum positively dangerous: completely chronological rather than thematic or skills based and overly 'nationalistic/monocultural. Dry as anything! How an earth am I going to equip my KS2 pupils for life? Reminds me of the rote history learning my Mum had to do, when she was taught all about the wonderful crusades. What's all this business also of reference to 'our' history. Why don't they say British?

2. Sounds like tremendous fun for all of us...

3. I think children need to understand British economic history: especially the role played in Britain by people such as George Stephensen, Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Charles Rolls. The role of technology and manufacturing in creating modern Britain is insufficiently appreciated in Britain today, and that is surely a basic requirement to living in the UK.

4. I read that white working class children are increasingly falling behind other groups in school performance in the UK. Individuals such as Isambard Kingdom Brunel, George Stephenson, Charles Rolls and Charlotte Bronte would form good role models for many children. Use of films and illustrated drawings from the time (such as a railway under construction), plus other exercises, would give children a sense of British industrial history.

5. Hi, We run Outback2basics in Shropshire teaching Stone Age skills and Bushcraft in a woodland classroom where possible to children.. We bring the Stone Age Alive with an interactive history lesson getting the children to have a hands on interaction with the Stone Age. They have an opportunity to get up close ad personal with furs and skins, with stone and bone tools and take part in creative workshops to re-create the crafts and art of our ancestors making fat lamps, cave art, stone tools and more. Visit our website for more information www.outback2basics.co.uk

Activities can take place at our venue to Telford or alternatively we can visit you at your school, indoors or out!

Bring the Stone Age alive with Outback2basics.

6. I'm a student at UCL doing a dissertation on how archaeology does (or does not) fit in the classroom, with particular focus on its inclusion in the new curriculum. I DESPERATELY need the views of some teachers about this, and have a few questions I've been asking:

1) Before the recent changes to the curriculum, in your experience how much archaeology (or archaeological topics) was included in teaching?

2) Have you seen significant changes to this since the introduction of the new curriculum?

3) What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of the new curriculum with regard to how much archaeology is included?

4) What topics seem to be the most popular with teachers in terms of teaching archaeology as part of the new History curriculum?

5) Have you noticed any archaeological topics being introduced outside of History in other subjects?

6) What topics are most popular with students and why do you think that might be?

7) Have you has any experience with the International Primary Curriculum and its approach to cross-curricular thematic teaching? If so, what are your thoughts on this with regard to its archaeological topics?

8) Do you think introducing archaeology as a cross-curricular source for teaching would be a successful approach?

9) What materials have you been using to teach prehistory and archaeological topics since the introduction of the new curriculum? What materials do you wish you had access to?

You don't have to answer all of them but any input would be appreciated! I'm hoping that your responses will help to improve the provisions and materials available for teachers teaching the new National Curriculum for History, so your responses are very important!

7. martianpoolwoman

martianpoolwoman New commenter

Indeed Yellow Brick Road Workshops have a Peterloo workshop and it is taken into schools. So certainly some Manchester primary schools do cover Peterloo. quite right too.

8. martianpoolwoman

martianpoolwoman New commenter

The bicentenary of Peterloo takes place in Aug 2019 therefore at the end of this school year .

We already have two Peterloo workshops booked in so don't let your pupils miss out on this one. It is an important event in history and something they should know about.
    email us on;- yellowbrickroadworkshops@hotmail.com