1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New National Curriculum

Discussion in 'History' started by dasboy, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Well that's me scuppered - I teach primary Victorian living history workshops and they have moved it to KS3! In general though , while I realise the need to cover British history, this is far too heavily political for primary, and I quote:
    "de Montfort's Parliament" / "The union of the crowns".

Also, given that is to be taught sequentially, good luck y2 teachers in explaining "key developments in the reigns of Alfred, Athelstan, *** and Edward the Confessor" to your busy little history bees :)

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Indeed. Hands up all those who can name the seven ancient kingdoms of the Heptarchy?

Personally, I am not looking forward to teaching Year 2 all about King ***. Let's hope the phonics pay off.....

3. I reckon we can probably fit all of that history in (just); provided we drop teaching all of the other subjects in key stage 2!

4. Re the word 'consultation', what does this actually mean in terms of its current form? I know we're meant to offer feedback but is it likely to be changed much from this or will it just be forced through?

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The KS3 stuff looks so dull. I can't help but think that it'll take all the will of history departments to desperately try to make it interesting enough if they're going to avoid a massive drop-off in KS4 take-up!

And what hope is there for engaging kids in primary history when we've removed any chance of finding out from grandparents about anything in living memory. Such a shame.

Also - how many children currently in KS2 will now end up doing 'Victorians' & 'Britiain since the 1930s'/'WWII' again at KS3 but will miss out on medieval history altogether?

6. Just had a look at it again and there is barely an ounce of fun that could be squeezed from the whole primary content to make it palatable for pupils. How the hell we are supposed to engage children with this dire and miserable deluge of dates and facts is a complete mystery.

Added to this, our pupils will leave primary at age 11 without even knowing that Queen Victoria existed or the 20th century had ever happened! (But they will be able to quote chapter and verse from Wycliffe's bible).

It's an outrageous and offensive assault on our pupils' learning and it makes me want to weep.

7. It needs every teacher in the land to voice their opinion & let Mr Gove know exactly what we think of it.
    As a KS2 teacher, I read the history content & wanted to cry. It could push me out of teaching if I was forced to teach some this to our children.

8. Have I just been so blindsided by the terrible content or has the Holocaust been taken out??

9. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

It is in there, fret ye not! I would be utterly outraged if it wasn't. Without having read the requirements for other subjects, it looks like we'd need 3 hours a week for History to cover all this material and make it remotely interesting / worthwhile. Otherwise reading from a proscribed textbook and learning by rote would be the only way to achieve it in my view.

But bless that Mr Gove, he's put a joke on the first page to cheer us all up. It reads "for consultation". Let's all laugh like drains - he's so good at listening to other people's views!

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

11. This new History curriculum for KS1 and 2 is definitely an example of progress. I was turned off history in my mid teens, we're now going to be able to achieve that before the end of KS2. Well done Mr G, you've just dumped the 1974 O-Level syllabus into primary schools.

12. I am so disappointed... as someone who loves early modern history - Tudors, Stuarts etc, I am gutted that I am going to be restricted to a lot of modern political history!!! How are we ever going to make this interesting for KS3? And maintain a decent uptake at KS4?

13. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I hope all History teachers will simply boycott this awful proposed curriculum - thought it was April 1st when I read it!

14. WD

WD New commenter

Absolute nightmare. If I ever got within 10yards of him there would be an 'incident.'

15. I completely agree, thought it was a wind up. KS3 looks very dry indeed, and quite when KS2 staff will deliver the huge swathe of History they have been given is open to question. This needs a serious rethink, otherwise there will nobody left studying History by KS4.

16. Perhaps we should boycott Gove's ideas and teach 'em all about the Peterloo Massacre and the Bristol Riots ....

17. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Is the whole thing not just a means of encouraging schools to become academies, or is that too cynical?

18. Absolutely right! And he's snuck it in hiding behind the alleged U turn at GCSE.
    Just look at these Ks1-3 proposed reforms to the national curriculum, to see exactly what he's trying to get past us. Of particular interest is the imperialist KS3 history, the like of which has never crept in to education before (even the Victorians were less jingoistic). Oh, and the emphasis on acquired content for assessment rather than skills, treating children as empty vats into which we must pour vast quantities of facts. Gradgrind? I'm sure Dickens would have had an issue with this.
    We can always respond to the consultation of course: except the online form is unavailable, and the Word file has picture boxes when it should have text boxes. Maybe Gove sacked too many computer literate civil servants?
    And all of this is to be dumped in one fell swoop on schools in one go, Sept 2014, causing massive resourcing issues in all year groups from y1-9 and all subjects at once. Where funding for this will come from for schools is anyone's guess, but I'm sure these millions will end up in the pockets of private publishers. Kids will change from one curriculum to another in the middle of a key stage, miss out on acquiring these essential skills (oh and 'facts'), but just so long as it's all in place for the next election, that's OK. I dread to think what is left for GCSE!

19. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Assuming that schools actually do this...I'm sure many History depts will simply choose not to make any changes, or only make a few token ones, esp. if there is little (or no) extra funding.
    Incidentally how long would it take for publishers to get thier authors to write new books, and get them published - my guess is that Sept. 2104 is much too soon...

20. zbaker

zbaker New commenter

Having heard other people feeling as I do I feel happier, I have now made my views clear on the Historical Association Poll on the address below and will try and complete the DFE official consultation paper as well although I can't seem to find the box that says this is all very wrong and will ruin the love of history for children up and down the country not to mention the passion of devoted history teachers. If you want to join the HA poll you can do so without being a member at:
    http://history.org.uk/news/news_1714.html