1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Music Subject Leader

Discussion in 'Primary' started by arotherham93, Jul 22, 2020.

1. arotherham93

arotherham93 New commenter

In September I will be the new music leader. Any useful tips or links to support this and subject knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

That's a very broad question. Can you be a bit more specific?
    I'd do a music audit to find out what is being taught, (eg is there a music scheme), how it's being taught (will you teach all lessons or will you be supporting the class teachers teaching music), where it's being taught (class room, music room, hall) and what resources are available. You could do a staff and pupil questionnaire to find out attitudes towards music, what is enjoyed, what staff would like help with. Are you responsible for music assemblies? If so find out what has gone on before and use that as a starting point.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  3. sparklepig2002

You need to be aware of any peripertetic lessons and extra curricular activities-- choirs, orchestras etc, also links with the community.Im Happy to help if you need more specific advice. Good luck.

4. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Re covid specific guidance for music, Music mark have written some useful things based on the dfe information. It's also worth joining the Facebook group called Primary school music teachers where teachers are discussing plans for September.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

All depends what curriculum the school will follow and secondly, whether you will be expected as ‘music leader’ to co-ordinate hymn practice or choir etc?
    I was a catholic primary HT and my music co-ordinator’s had the responsibility of co-ordinating the whole school music activity including class lessons whereby they would teach the class whilst the normal class teacher would have time to complete admin and secondly, hymn practice and choir.

6. arotherham93

arotherham93 New commenter

Thank you, this is really useful.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

We have been told that there will be no Music or singing at or school for at least the Autumn term - has your school made any decisions like this?

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No music at all @lardylady ?
    Why on earth not?

I know some schools are saying no singing, but banging a triangle in reception isn't a major risk of transmission, nor learning about instruments of the orchestra or whatever in year 5.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

No music at all - utterly bonkers!

10. sparklepig2002

What a shame for the children.They will miss out. Music isn't just about singing. There are loads of other things that can be done. :(