1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Music Department...any suggestions.

Discussion in 'Music' started by colliewollie21, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hello fellow music teachers.

I have recently received some wonderful news that I have been offered the position at an international school in china for head of music, and indeed the only music teacher. I gladly accepted.

Now, it is going to be a new school and a new department. I will be teaching GCSE and A Level music from the Edexcel Curriculum only. The school development officer wants me to put together a list of resources needed for the successful running and implementation of the music curriculum. Please note that is it only GCSE and A Level music and not KS3.

I was wondering, if you had the opportunity to 'build' a department, what would be you wish in terms of resources. I have asked for a percussion kits, drum kit, world music instruments, guitars, keyboards, apple mac suite for garage band and compositional purposes, IWB etc etc. But when it comes to books I don't know what I should order.

I greatly appreciate all your help and advice.

2. Hello fellow music teachers.

I have recently received some wonderful news that I have been offered the position at an international school in china for head of music, and indeed the only music teacher. I gladly accepted.

Now, it is going to be a new school and a new department. I will be teaching GCSE and A Level music from the Edexcel Curriculum only. The school development officer wants me to put together a list of resources needed for the successful running and implementation of the music curriculum. Please note that is it only GCSE and A Level music and not KS3.

I was wondering, if you had the opportunity to 'build' a department, what would be you wish in terms of resources. I have asked for a percussion kits, drum kit, world music instruments, guitars, keyboards, apple mac suite for garage band and compositional purposes, IWB etc etc. But when it comes to books I don't know what I should order.

I greatly appreciate all your help and advice.

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

- mp3 recorders, eg. Roland R-09
    - piano/s
    - microphones
    - itunes vouchers (for building up a listening library)
    - guitar strings, picks, capos
    - sheet music for bands, choirs, orchestras
    - Sibelius software for GCSE and A level composition
    - Logic for Apple (Garageband can be limited and too 'loop-based' for coursework)
    - PA system (mixer + 2 speakers)
    - headphones (2 pairs for each keyboard, plus spares)
    - money for miscellaneous 'leads', eg. stereo leads, guitar leads, USB/MIDI leads...
    - copies of the GCSE and A level set works books (1 per student who will take the subjects, plus spares)
    - copies of Rhinegold books about Edexcel set works, harmony, composing, etc.
    - general purpose music dictionaries, Grout and Palisca, music history books, etc.
    - money for piano tuning
    - money for accompanists (if you're lucky!)
    - blank CDs, memory cards
    - MIDI keyboards for the computers (to input ideas)
    - music stands
    - money for rights to school productions/musical
    - money for hireage of audio equipment/money for school production/musical
    - money for subscriptions to AMIS, magazines, resource websites
    I'm sure others can think of more....

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

[​IMG]

5. FANTASTIC!

6. look at http://www.educationalmusicals.com as I know they have shipped shows to China.
    Pick and choose but lots to look at.