1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New mum to be: what do I need to buy before the birth?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by jillyo, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Can I add in that I found the NCT Nearly New Sales fab - a lot of areas hold these and I picked up some real bargins especially the new baby stuff as many new parents get loads of stuff and then hardly use it - I remember picking up vest etc still in sealed bags. All the stuff has the owners name on it as the seller gets a % of the selling price back so it is all good quality.
    Good luck

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Resist the urge to spend on cute clothing! You will get loads of clothes for presents and newborns grow so quickly that they'll get little wear out of items if you have too many.
    My first was an 8lb 15oz bundle of joy with a voracious appetite and he grew out of his first romper suits in 2 weeks! We were cash-strapped so I ended up adding a piece of material to the gussets so that I got another month's use out of them.
    I'm still bemused by why people use baby wipes when they are at home. They're handy when out and about but why not have a cotton wool roll and warm water (baby soap) when in the house, with a few small towels to dry baby's bottom before adding talc/cream? It'll save you loads of money. I had a plastic 'bowl' from Mothercare that had two sections. You put clean water in one side and soiled cotton wool/ nappy in the other.
    Don't spend on equipment that you think you want for later stages (baby walkers etc). Wait until you know that baby is ready for it (and has perhaps taken a liking to it at Mother and Baby groups/ Nursery) OR you find that you can borrow one from a family whose child has outgrown it.
    Babygrows are wonderful; you can get out of the house in a hurry by just adding a dress or cardigan in the morning. Don't get too many in the first size though. Many people continue to use them when baby is clearly too long and that can cause problems for the baby's vulnerable feet. A baby grow that is slightly too big will be fine (turn back sleeve cuffs and dangling feet are no problem for a baby that can't crawl or walk). If you must use one that is too small, cut off the feet and add a pair of socks or long bootees to hold the leg in place.
    Don't let the midwives wipe off all the gunk (vernix) covering the baby at birth! All they need to do is clear the airways and wipe away any blood. The rest will absorb into baby's skin over a day or so (so no bath for baby until you get home if only in for 48 hours) and will really boost their complexion and skin health. It is reputed to weaken/stop any tendency to eczema, for instance.
    3 or 4 hooded towels should be enough but only buy one or two as you're quite likely to get one as a present.
    Avoid clothing with ribbons that baby might suck and choke on. Avoid anything with a holey pattern in places where baby's fingers might twist (health and safety as well as difficulty of dressing baby).
    Don't get a pillow! Babies don't need them and they are usually softer than a mattress and represent a surface where baby's airways could be obstructed.
    If you have people who can shop for you in the first two weeks there's no need to be laying in for a siege with clothing and equipment beforehand.
    Keep receipts for everything you do buy (and delay purchases until nearer your due date) so that you can get a refund/exchange for things that get duplicated or which you realise you don't really need.

3. Or forgo the waste altogether and use reusable wipes!

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Otherwise known as flannels! Totally agree.

5. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I have to say I'd be lost without baby wipes! Other things that I've found to be really useful but non-essential are mini cartons of formula for night feeds/ going out and about,and the carrycot part of the pushchair as I can get LO really cosy in there and also use it as a second moses basket in the house (although big babies grow out of them v quickly). Also it's a good idea to get some nice ready meals in or do a batch of cooking and feeze portions at the end of your pregnancy so you can pop something in the oven when you're knackered. Finger foods for breakfast and lunch are good too, eg bananas, cereal bars, mini pittas and hummous, etc as you have to eat one-handed sometimes!

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Agreed! I used Boots ones and then after a week/10 days switched to the really thin ones.
    I also agree that I couldn't have been without wipes! We used cotton wool and water for about a week before realising it was useless and switched to wipes. We'll be using wipes with baby no.2 from the start!
    Babygros are great. My son lived in them for the first 3 months or so before we started putting him in outfits. Have enough but not too many. Do you have a tumble dryer? My parents got us one when he was born and it's been the best thing we've ever been bought!
    He was never that keen on his bouncy chair, but all babies are different.
    I had problems BF and mix fed from day 6, so was glad i'd bought a steriliser already. And you need it for if you express anyway.
    We didn't have a moses basket, which i'm glad about as my parents borrowed one for when we stayed there and he was nearly too long for it at 6 weeks.
    Sounds nice you have all the important, big stuff already. You can always go out and get stuff you need once your baby is born.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

like.

8. I would say not to bother at all and just use a normal towel - I had a range of hooded towels and they never seemed to cover much - I use a huge bath sheet now and it's sooo much cosier especially when it's a little chilly after a nice warm bath
    On the subject of baths - I had a washing up bowl to begin with and from 7 weeks he was just in the big bath!

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I've just been sorting through all my son's stuff for this baby, and we must have about 5 hooded towels! They were all bought as gifts. He didn't use them for long really and a small size bath towel was better. Maybe this baby will be smaller!
    We still use the baby bath now and he's 20 months old and 3 foot tall! It was one with inbuilt support at one end, so he just sits the other way round now. We have a huge proper bath and something wrong with our water pressure so it would take ages to fill and be a waste of water.

10. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Disposable knickers and maternity pads- I got both from Boots, but Tesco do them as well. Absolute blessing for a good week afterwards (the knickers) or longer (the pads).
    Arnica helps with the bruising/swelling- don't underestimate how stiff and sore you will feel afterwards (especially if things don't go down the nice, calm, birthing-pool route you might be hoping for!). On that note, some lovely things for you, for your first shower-time,will go down well- something like a lovely body cream (avoid strongly scented though, for baby's sake), shower gel and shampoo- and don't forget deodorant!
    Some soft nighties or pyjamas with front buttons if you are planning to b/f. Get them in a big size- to fit you at 39 weeks- you won't regret it even after the first month or so because they'll be comfy and practical for being around the house!
    Lansinoh.
    When buying clothes for you now, consider whether they'll be practical for b/feeding- a lot of my maternity clothes, which I'd've probably carried on wearing, haven't any openings for feeding so are obselete and I've had to buy clothes with openings or buttons in larger sizes than I'd normally hope to wear, so they aren't necessarily a cheap option. (That said, one or two new, non-maternity things have been a real boost to my self-esteem, especially the jeans with a proper fly!)

11. My LO was 2ft at 12 weeks! [​IMG] He's slowing down a bit now though! I love how random and lovely babies are!

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Wow, he'll be a giant [​IMG]. Mine certainly doesn't get his height from me! Or his big feet!
    Chicabonita - i'm hoping to BF this time and was wondering about what to wear! It'll be nearly Summer when my baby is born and most of my sundresses are really fitted so probably won't fit my boobs anyway and will definitely be no good for BF. I think my loose combats and vest tops will be the way forward! I bought a vest top PJ top with buttons from Primarni today for £2.50!

13. Thanks everyone, ive started a list now, just need to buy the stuff!
    I had nt thought about bf friendly clothes, think ive one top! In fact BF terrifies me, more than the actual birth. I must get over being a prude but arrgh I don't think I can!
    x

14. If you can buy a sling- these can be great for breastfeeding in public. I managed to feed my daughter in the supermarket today, walking around, and nobody knew! I would say, slings are fantastic!

My daughter is almost 7 months and still in 0-3 clothes, she is a tiny! Someone at the clinic was really impressed how 'advanced' she was - until I told them she was older than their bigger girl! So, our newborn and tiny baby clothes were a must.

We also got stuff we didn't use. We had an August baby so I bought a summer 0-6 sleeping bag. By the time she was big enough for it, it was winter- so be mindful of seasons.

Her favourate toy is- paper (she has destroyed my unread magazine) and a cheap plastic rarttle! So don't splash out too much!

15. Muslins - I bought 10 and thought I had plenty. I now have 30 and sometimes wonder if I have enough!
    Nice, comfy, pretty PJs for after the birth. I got a couple of pairs 2/3 sizes bigger than my pre pregnancy size but with elastic and drawstrings. Having nice PJs to wear has really cheered me up some days. Sad, I know.
    Cheap, Primark/Tesco/Asda BIG black knickers. Much comfier than paper.
    Boots or Tesco maternity pads, I had stitches and found that the top layer of normal sanitary towels tugged at the stitches, plus the extra padding felt much better to sit on.
    I have an ever growing baby so had to pack away his newborn stuff at 2 weeks and now at 7 weeks he's almost out of most of his 0-3 month clothes. So I would say buy a pack of vests and sleep suits in new born and 0-3 and then see how you go. I think someone else said that it doesn't matter if their clothes are big as you can always roll up sleeves, plus they do look cute in slightly big sleep suits.
    I was given loads of towels but had very few blankets and a very sicky baby. I would say buy a few cellular blankets in the biggest size. Crib size is so small now that they're nearly useless but cot size can be folded over and wrapped round my LO still.
    Breastfeeding clothes - I haven't got any special tops but have got loads of vest tops that I can wear underneath my normal tops. I pull one down and one up to feed and nothing is on show. I was also terrified of breastfeeding in public but when your baby is hungry and several strangers/midwives have spent an hour staring at your fanjo, then flashing a bit of nipple will seem like nothing at all :0) Seriously though I practised feeding at home in the way I would when out and felt much more confident when it actually came to doing it.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's worth buying or borrowing an inflatable swim ring. Put it in a pillow case/cushion cover and it makes a great base cushion for sore nether regions, particularly if you have stitches.. You could buy a foam ring doughnut cushion instead which might be more robust.
    Mine went everywhere with me for several weeks as I had stitches straight after the birth and then needed a D &C nearly 2 weeks later, so the cut had to be opened and stitched again!

17. stuff for hospital - I didn't get round to this until 35+2 and went into labour at 35+6 - be ready!!! also we had only bought 0-3 clothes (I was convinced I was having a big baby) again be ready (do not mean to worry you) I would buy newborn and have someone on standby if you need more in different sizes.
    changing mat
    I bought sterilising stuff and bottles in case I couldn't breast feed (I could and now LO won't take a bottle at all!)
    it sounds like you have the big things anyway
    Good luck
    x

18. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

No! B/feeding, although it's a tie and can be tiring and painful initially- get some Lansinoh- is lovely. The birth was fairly hideous (see previous, bitter note about things not going to plan!!) but I'm so glad I'm b/feeding. It's free, there's no faffing about with bottles and so on, no sterilising... You can even sleep at the same time- ask the midwives to show you how to feed lying down, then you and baby can both catch a nap or sleep at night time, too.
    Chica, my friend who gave birth in the summer wore vests and t-shirts with buttons at the front; or you could get those tops with a wrap style and a pull-down/pull-up panel across the boob part. (I got some in H&M as maternity tops but they're very good b/feeding tops.) Or if it's not hot, a vest and top as mentioned above is good- pull one down and one up.
    Mind you though, if you've got a garden and nice weather, I'd've thought it'd be bikini all the way while you're at home!