1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New mum survival kit

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sparklepig2002, Oct 11, 2019.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Hello,
    My niece has just had a baby and is having a tough time. . Not only is the feeding proving to be very difficult, but she's suffering from a sort of post-natal PTSD - she keeps having flashbacks of the birth. She's really going through the mill at the moment. I sympathise .I thought I'd put a together a "new mum survival kit " and take it to her when I visit. What could I put in it? I've thought of a mini bottle of prosecco, chocolate, nice hand cream/moisturiser, some fruit/camomille tea. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you.

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Tasty homemade meals ready to go in the freezer so that she has something good for dinner on those days when she and her partner don't feel up to cooking.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If feeding is difficult, make sure she knows that it's not failure if her child is not exclusively breast-fed. I've come across too many mums who have ended up run into the ground because they feel that even a single bottle would be a disaster.
    I hope she has a supportive midwife/health visitor...

4. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

I personally would leave out the prosecco, the last thing i would have wanted was alcohol that i couldn't drink. Lots of snacks that she can nibble on easily throughout the day, cake, chocolate spread (great on toast for anytime of the day for a quick energy boost), nice tea or coffee (she will want the caffeine hit), a couple of good books, a voucher for a facial/massage/manicure when she is feeling more up to it, a voucher for somewhere where she would have to spend it on herself as there isn't anything there for the baby, an afternoon tea voucher for her and her partner for when things settle down a bit (somewhere they can take the baby if they want to).

Also as bonxie suggested a couple of home cooked meals to go in her freezer. I batch made a load of meals in the first couple of days of my mat leave and it was the best thing i did.

5. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

Also you could add all the food that pregnant women are not supposed to eat as she will have missed it. My husband made sure that for the week following birth i had everything that i had missed.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Thank you all.