1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New mum seeking advice about returning to teaching?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by el25, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Perhaps I am writing on the wrong forum but thought this was a good place to start.

Last year I successfully completed two terms of my NQT year before I went on maternity leave. My baby is now six months and I am thinking about returning to teaching to hopefully complete my NQT year -at least. Last year, the post I was in was temporary so I am now searching for a new job.

Guess the main point of this topic is to try and get some advice from new mum NQTs out there and find out about whether they would recommend going back to teaching when my baby is quite young and how they manage to do the work/life balance thing?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Perhaps I am writing on the wrong forum but thought this was a good place to start.

Last year I successfully completed two terms of my NQT year before I went on maternity leave. My baby is now six months and I am thinking about returning to teaching to hopefully complete my NQT year -at least. Last year, the post I was in was temporary so I am now searching for a new job.

Guess the main point of this topic is to try and get some advice from new mum NQTs out there and find out about whether they would recommend going back to teaching when my baby is quite young and how they manage to do the work/life balance thing?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

3. hey.

I am ot an NQT but the mother of a young son.

I have worked since boy was 1 month old and it was a sad time.

If you can, and you don't NEED to work then I wouldn't but maybe a part time position would be a start, there seems to be lots about.

Are you primary or secondary?

4. Thanks for reply. I am a secondary school teacher.

Have you found it difficult to juggle your work life with spending time with your son?

I love being a mum but I keep thinking about how hard I worked during PGCE and NQT year and I'm keen to continue with the profession. Part time has been something I've been looking in to. It's not easy....

5. Hi

I do find it difficult to spend time with him at times but unfortunately for me, work is necessary so I have to learn to live with it.

6. is hard work, but something that doesn't have to be a negative. yes i often work much of my lunch and some late evenings but that is it. from four-eight,(apart from meeting day) it is our time. i think that the quality of time we spend together is better than when on maternity as it is more precious.
    holidays are bonus too

only major downside is parent's eve, twighlight insets etc.

7. Hi there,

You wrote this message years ago now and I'm not sure if you'll get this but....I'm in a similar situation and I'd be keen to find out how you've managed in the last few years.

I qualified for primary teaching and luckily got a one-year contract for the September in a lovely local school. I would have taken a job there even if it was only temporary so wasn't concerned at the time about the one-year contract. I had a good and bad year; my class was a very small one though it was year 2, and I'd hoped to teach Key Stage 2, so was slightly unprepared for their dependency. But my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer in the October, and sadly died the following July - I took a few weeks off to help nurse her but she went downhill very fast and I made the decision to go back and finish the last few weeks of term and complete my NQT year. So that was tough. My partner and I had decided to try for a baby during Mum's illness because I didn't know how long she would be around, and wanted her involved if possible. She died when I was five months pregnant but I am happy she knew I was expecting.

So I was a new teacher, with stresses and strains both professionally and at home, and now I found myself pregnant, and basically I think my brain shut down in terms of teaching. I had been really gung-ho at the beginning of the year but with one thing and another by the end I couldn't wait for the year to finish. Furthermore, during the year, as is expected I suppose, I pretty much spent every evening and weekend working to get my head around things. During this time my partner was on the PGCE course that I'd just completed to teach primary and he is now currently in what should be his NQT year but hasn't secured a job so is supply teaching.

Basically, my little girl is now almost 4 months old, and I'm considering what to do. As we're both new teachers, you will know exactly how much money we're bringing in - not much. So I think I have to work, I don't think we can survive on his new teacher wage. But the thought of teaching, with my little experience (meaning I'll need to do more work at home to compensate) is making me physically sick whenever I think about it. I would only consider part-time, two days a week if possible, but even so, I have spoken to experienced teachers with young children who work two days, and even they go in very early and stay late on those days, and work at home too. I just don't know if I can cope with the committment that teaching demands at this time in my life, and I'm desperately scratching around looking for other things that I could do. The trouble is of course that there are certain perks like holidays etc in teaching, although as all teachers will know, we pay a high price during term time for those holidays, and I don't know if I can take that right now.

How did you get on with managing your home/work balance, did you go back to work part-time in the end? Who looked after your child? I have no family who can look after her so will need to put her into nursery, at a cost. Is it worth it?

I hope you haven't found things too stressful.

8. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Bricul - I want to offer a more positive outlook on teaching as a new mum as it seems to me you are fearing the worst and not weighing up the positives.
    I am a new mum and an NQT having fallen pregnant during my training year. My son will be 5 1/2 months old when I return to work in April at a brand new school (secondary).
    The tough stuff... yes work will inevitably interfere with your precious mummy time...but this could happen in any job. You will need to work the odd late day so your colleagues still take you seriously. You will have some late nights marking, and some nights where you are up half the night. But you know this and I don't think PT would make it much easier- certaily not on the career front as you will miss valuable training and staff meetings and may feel discluded and out of the loop.
    But now for the positives...you have a profession (and a pretty secure one at that), children are not mentally scarred by working mums - they enjoy mummy time and so long as you are super organised an set a few hours most nights for your baby they will not know the difference. How many jobs pay you for (is it 13 weeks?) long holidays? Again, delicious time with your child! And Daddy gets time off too! Fab! Yes you will have to juggle your work/home life but that would be the case in any job. My sister works 3 days in a boring admin role and she is bored stiff and feels she has lost her own identity. You get interaction with other adults instead of staring at 4 walls.
    Have a look on the baby and toddler forum or type in work/life balance in search box as there are some really positive threads.It's just about having a set time and not expecting to be an amazing teacher...just do your job and leave at 4pm. Oh and find a good childminder for some one to one quality attention for your child - mine is fab and it's made me feel so much better about going back to work.
    ...and I'll be looking forward to that summer holiday we can now afford x