1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New mobile arriving but who goes in it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by HCP1, Jun 20, 2012.

1. This Monday we were told we are going to be expanding from a two form entry to a three form entry. So where I thought we would have 60 new pupils we will actually have 90 start in September. As a result we will be given a two classroom mobile in a few weeks time (we shall see). My problem is who to place in it. Do I place a KS2 year group or do I place the extra reception class in it? I would prefer to have minimal disruption but as the mobile will probably be there for at least 2 years, I really am not holding my breath (I can't not for that long). We have been promised that the new 7 classrooms will all be ready by September 2013....However, living in the real world and based on past experiences, I feel that September 2014 is more likely! Any thoughts and ideas would be most welcome and help me to consider just how many people i will be upsetting.

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I would say it depends largely on where it's placed.
    Mind you, as someone who will next year be teaching in two different rooms for different parts of the week, one of which barely fits the children let alone any resource, I'm tempted to say: can I have it?

3. I would have thought KS2. They're up and down and in and out much less, and made of tougher stuff than little receptioners.

4. This is an arguement the reception and year 1 staff have used so far. It is quite difficult to decide which way to go as I have been in mobiles myself with year 5 and year 6 in the past.

5. We walked up and down and around and around the playground for about 40 minutes today. All trying to decide where it should go. At one stage my two AH were doing a synchronized funny measuring walk side by side (what I would have given to have had a camera at that point). We are trying to have it placed near our reception block. But this is also perfect for Years 1 through to 5. The problem will be the domino effect of people possibly moving. I'm so looking forward to my Summer holiday, oh actually I forgot...that's gone now hasn't it. You are more than welcome to come and use the empty room when it arrives but it may be a long commute.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The advantage of younger children having it is simply space. Older children are bigger and have bigger furniture, you may find a year 6 class simply don't fit.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Reception are supposed to have access to an outdoor area will this be possible with the mobile. Does it have its own toilets? Also essential for younger children.
    I once worked in a temporary building when the whole school had to move for building work (asbestos) to take place. The Nursery were in a separate block with portaloos, the vision of little children sitting on the loo with the doors wide open and snow on the ground stays with me. They didn't seem to mind though.

8. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I would say older children will cope better. My whole school is in 3 <strike>mobiles</strike> high-quality modular buildings. Its the staff that have struggled, the children have coped really well. We are a closing 9-13 middle school and have been relocated for them to build a new primary school.

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

It doesn't have anything to do with your dilemma, but I have to admit that when I first read the thread title, I thought you meant a mobile phone and were trying to decide which numbers of staff members would go in it and which you would just delete...

10. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

It has always been the older children in school I have worked in - because of the toilets being in the main building and it being too much of a 'faff'' to accompany younger children there, and the moaning you would get if it is cold/wet etc. I think the furniture size/size of the children may have been a problem at one point so it was years 3 and 4 who got the short straw....