1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lievcin, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I was hoping to find people who were familiar with the concept of New maths coined in the 60s-70s and which swiftly dissapeared. Kids were taught from early age complex concepts like sets theory, group theory, non-euclidean geometry.
    I was wondering if there were still any schools following this line of education either fully or partially. Any leads would help!
    Thank you.

2. oh - that brings back memories - i was too old to study 'new' maths, but my 2 youngest siblings did, and my mum took an o level to keep up with them.
    think she's still got 'a long way from euclid' on her bookshelves

3. I was lucky enough to be taught by one of the early contributors to SMP maths, but before it was adopted in the school. So yes I learned about set theory, Boolean algebra, logic circuits, abstract algebra, a bit of probability theory and numerical stuff. I don't think we got non-Euclidean geometry. Of course we also did all the really useful stuff like hard integrals, algebraic manipulation, Euclidean and projecive geometry for the non-SMP exams.
    SMP was still going strong in the early 80s, but I don't know when it officially stopped being examined.
    The really top independent schools still provide extensional material for their pupils who have some noticeable mathematical talent, but it is probably ad hoc. I've been know to help out myself.