1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Maths Curriculum - real life context ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by danielletill, Oct 5, 2015.

1. danielletill

danielletill New commenter

I'm putting together a list of ideas of how to contextualise the new maths primary curriculum. i.e. ratio and cooking, role play etc. I have lots of ideas so far but wondered is anyone had any others? Would appreciate some suggestions.

2. jaguarette

jaguarette New commenter

Shops, buying and selling? Trips around the playground (length, width; finding shapes such as rectangles on a football pitch)?

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We do this thing called Big Ideas Friday where half termly we have a whole school Maths activity day to apply skills developed through a unit of work. Some of the best ones have been a sports day to apply measure & time skills, running a real cafe for money, designing & making catapults for angles - then shooting water balloons, teddy bears picnic for fractions & sharing in early years... there have been loads but my mind has gone blank! Will have a think and get back to you.

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Shops are great mathematical contexts, as everyone has been in one, so has some concept image from which to work.

From there you can go with money, change, profit, fractions ('half price') percentages for older kids (sales), efficient packaging (volume and capacity and nets), time - opening hours, multiplication and division (how many of these £3.50 items can I buy with £15?, I work for £10 an hour for 3 hours, how much do I earn?). Probably lots more too...

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I find linking to events, topics or books works well ... such as sports day, school trips, cake sales, seasonal events such as Christmas, Harvest etc plus national stuff like the Rugby world cup. Also using key texts used in literacy (these can provide characters, events or locations) or topics used in other curriculum areas such as history and geography also work well to support children to make connections and see that using their maths skills has a real purpose.