1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Maths curriculum posted by OFQUAL.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brambo, Dec 22, 2011.

1. When the latest GCSE Curriculum was posted, I asked a simple question of OFQUAL regarding whether a list of 8 Maths topics were simple omissions, or had been removed. It took amost two weeks (including several e-mails informing me that they were still reviewing my request) to get a final response.
    It would seem that the GCSE curriculums posted are minimum requirements (their emphasis) and that each examining board can add additional topics as they see fit. Examinations syllabus must include all the topics on the GCSE curriculum they have posted to be "passed".
    As the 8 topics were virtually all from OCR's GCSE specification (final sitting 2011) at A*, it seems that we are seeing a dumbing down sanctioned by OFQUAL.

2. When the latest GCSE Curriculum was posted, I asked a simple question of OFQUAL regarding whether a list of 8 Maths topics were simple omissions, or had been removed. It took amost two weeks (including several e-mails informing me that they were still reviewing my request) to get a final response.
    It would seem that the GCSE curriculums posted are minimum requirements (their emphasis) and that each examining board can add additional topics as they see fit. Examinations syllabus must include all the topics on the GCSE curriculum they have posted to be "passed".
    As the 8 topics were virtually all from OCR's GCSE specification (final sitting 2011) at A*, it seems that we are seeing a dumbing down sanctioned by OFQUAL.

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I would tend to agree. However, I have also long held the view that there is too much content, in general, at all grades and that it would be better if the curriculum cut out some such content but examined particular topics in more depth - eg. With longer questions. This jack of all trades master of none approach leads to thin and predictable questioning...